Thread: Mobile/Cell Phone Question

Poster
    Hey guys,

Here's the problem. I recently purchased a Sony Ericsson K700i and bought a data cable for it. The problem, however, is that when I conenct my phone, it says "Found New Hardware" and tells me it's found a "USB Serial Controller". However, it won't install this hardware saying the "necessary software cannot be found".

Is this a windows thing, or a phone thing? And how do I go about getting it to work? Tried googling it, but didn't know where to start so I didn't get too far.

ANY help would be appreciated as always guys

Thanks,
    Ricey

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    The phone didnt come any software?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Yeah. I've installed it all...

I installed all the software from the disk before I connected the phone.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    http://www.cell-phone-accessories.com/soerk7k70cep.html

Looks like the USB software may be extra, but comes with a USB data cable (which presumably you've bought independently). Check with your phone supplier.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Thing is though, the data cable for the K700i is the same as the data cable for the T610, the phone I previously had.

Point is, it was working with the T610...but not with K700i. Could it be windows screwing up? I'm almost certain it's something to do with my pc rather than the cable.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Is the software for the T610 the same as that for the K700? I suspect it will be similar but just sufficiently different to screw things up.

Did you uninstall the T610 software first? If the 2 sets of software sit in the same folder this may be the cause of the problem.

If not, I suggest you try uninstalling both the K700 software and the T610 software, in that order. If you have difficulty uninstalling the T610 software you may have to re-install it in order to successfully uninstall it. Finally re-install the K700 software.

These are just suggestions, I have no actual knowledge that they will help in any way.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    good idea that I wouldn't have thought of usually, but I uninstalled the t610 software before I sold the phone, so it was clean of t610 software before I installed the k700i software

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    howardforums.com its a cellphone forum they might be able to help you out

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Thanks, I'll try that