Thread: Modem question

threelions00's Avatar on a shirt... BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12

Question Mark

OK...this may sound silly but does the modem affect how well the connection is?

i use a thomson speedtouch 330 and after googling it, realised that so many people, like myself keep getting a 'no dial tone' message.

i have tried reinstalling, updating drivers, mailing my ISP and thomson but nothing works so i am pondering the thought as to whether my answer my be a new modem.

If that is a solution then how much do u think i should spend? i want reliability at a reasonable price. So any suggestions on the modem model as well would be much appreciated.

Thanks, 3lions

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Can your ISP supply or did you buy your own ? You can rent too, but over the long haul its money out the window.
    Last edited by peat moss; 07-02-2005 at 09:59 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    I've noticed that some modems can take a while to "sync up" with the adsl network, which is effectively what it is telling you with the "no dial tone" message. It isn't always the modem's fault though, it could be line conditions or a problem at the head-end. Unfortunately the only way to be sure is to try a different modem, of a different make.

If you get your modem from your ISP they should replace it.

If it is your own modem and/or you decide to get a new one/your own then the choices depend on what you might do with it in the future. If you want to connect multiple devices (PCs Xbox etc) you should probably look for a multiport modem router. This is probably a good idea anyway since they don't cost much more than a modem. If you want wireless then look for a wireless modem router, even if you will have only one device.

How long do you think you will keep this piece of equipment, whatever you get? The reason I ask is because ADSL2 is currently being trialled by Easynet. That will give speeds of up to 24Mbps, but only if you've got compatible equipment. ADSL2 capable modems shouldn't cost any more than ADSL ones and are backwards compatible, but obviously they haven't been out long so reviews aren't available.

Obviously, that gives a lot of options, if you can narrow them down finding something suitable will be a lot easier.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4

Question Mark

it is a modem the ISP supplied firstly.

Secondly, I have the use of a laptop and a pc at home which both have wireless cpapbilities...i am hoping to set up a wireless network. How does that affect download and upload speed from the net? also transferring files? i have read a little on this but most of it is technical jargon i just don't understand.

would it be worth getting equipment to suit this and would i still need a modem?

as you can probably guess, i am not the brightest in this area but any questions relating to red dwarf, i'm ya man!

and also can i rely on you if i do get the bits i need for wireless for 'idiot's guide' assistance?

thanks for everyone's help so far.

3lions

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    You could get them to talk in ad-hoc mode, but that's not as secure and I'm not sure if you can use Internet Connection Sharing with them in that mode, in which case they would not both have internet access, and certainly not if the internet connected pc was switched off.

If you get a wireless modem router it will act as the wireless access point for both systems, and also give internet access to both.
    This one seems to have reasonable reviews. I can't comment directly myself because I haven't tried that particular model. However, the previous model and the wired equivalent seem to work without any problems.

At 54Mbps you won't notice any internet lag whatsoever, and file transfer will be almost as fast as a wired connection. If your existing wireless connections are compatible you can get 108mbps which is faster than most wired connections.

If your existing connection is 802.11b then you will only get 11Mbps connection. You still won't notice any internet lag (unless you get up to high ADSL2 speeds), file transfer will still be fast but not blindingly so, but that won't be the fault of this bit of kit.

One piece of advice: While you can set up the router over a wireless connection, it is a lot easier if you do it wired. Make one mistake with the security over wireless and you are locked out until you correct it. Personally I would do this over ethernet, but if you don't want to get a drop cable you can install the USB drivers and connect that way.

And whichever router you go for the first thing to do is check for firmware upgrades.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Ok Lynx...i was with you until you said 'you could get...'

i use bulldogbroadbrand and the little info balloon says i am connecting to the internet at 6.2 Mbps.

if i don't need a router, i can live without that.

i had a reply from bulldog saying is it your phone line, is it your pc, is there a microfilter on every point etc

my laptop is fine. not sure bout the phone line yet

i have 2 phone sockets...no phones attached tho. i have passed the activation date so do u think it could the phone line or cos i do not have a microfilter in each socket?

this situation really sucks. i have never had a prob before with net connection. i have told them that once i have checked all possible points of error and if there aren't any then i cancel the contract.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    I assumed this was an up-and-running connection with occasional glitches. Now you seem to be saying it is a new connection. Which is it?

If you are seeing a connection speed of 6.2Mbps, that seems to suggest everything is ok. I'm curious, why did you mention the activation date? If it has only just been activated then you would have no connectivity before that.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I mentioned the activation date because this was what they (my ISP) mentioned. The speed is fine. It is a new connection and when i am using the net, it will just cut out for no apparent reason. There is no time period on which it does it i.e. not every 5 minutes. It can do it once every few hours or 5 times in as many minutes.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Do you get a diagnostics program with that modem? Or at least a statistics reading.

If you've got one you should be able to find out if there are adsl errors, and it should list the number of adsl disconnects.

If you can get a printout or screen dump of that, then the same thing straight after a period of trouble you should be able to work out if the problem is on the adsl side.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I do have a diagnostics programme. It was saying that it was the laptop but after a little investigation, it had been hijacked. It has also said that it is an ISP problem. It only does this when it has cut out. Otherwise it justs says all is fine.

Are there any online checkers that i could possible use? maybe the diagnostic programme being by the same people as the modem, it is bias...