Thread: VoIP free PC to telephone software recommendations?

I'm looking for a free telephony service for making phone calls from my PC to telephone. Does anyone have any suggestions for what software would be good to use? Where are the available calling areas etc.? Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    http://www.skype.com/

I have been using this one for a few weeks now. Seems decent enough. However I have all of the benefits of file-transfers, voice and teleconferencing as it is now using only Windows Messenger v5.1.

There seems to be a rash of "googling" to find answers going on today. I am afraid this suggestion is no exception. After inputting the words free, voip, and telephony, it came back as "number two" on the list.
    Last edited by Izagaia; 07-02-2005 at 02:18 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    i think you'll struggle for free pc to telephone calls - but you can certainly get pc to pc calls

check MoneySaving Expert out - this is a decent guide to it all
    <insert signature here>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    yeah.. I've found lots of free PCto PC calling sites like skype. I remember when Dialpad was free. I know that on trips to Thailand and Vietnam a lot of the internet cafes had pc to telephone programs that were free.
    Last edited by mr00420; 07-03-2005 at 05:20 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I'd try Skype but they kinda control your pc. And use your "extra" bandwidth. I don't have any fn extra bandwidth. That's spyware, adware, malware behavior imo.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    really zap? i have it installed and havent noticed any pc controlling/bad stuff installed/extra bandwidth used - any details or links?
    <insert signature here>

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Just a couple links for now. Both pdf (didn't read these though). And not where I orginally found out (can't remember where). The links are www not of course xxx.
    xxx.hexago.com/docs/doc_20050322-27.pdf
    xxx.broadbandproperties.com/2004%20issues/ March04-Articles/mar_techalley.pdf
    Also heck the EULA #3 at least. hxxp://public.planetmirror.com/pub/skype/eula.html
    Another.
    hxxp://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9481674~mode=flat