Thread: Cant hear anything from my speakers.

About 2 days ago, I started hearing a "hizzing" sound from my speakers. The sound would get louder as I turned the volume up. I tried disconnecting my computer speakers and reconnecting them but I would still hear the "hiss". I ignored it and kept on playing my music and etc..

Well, yesterday I turned the computer on and to my surprise, I cant hear anything. Im pretty sure my speakers arent the problem because they look alright to me. Theyre some really good Yamaha speakers I bought bout 1 year ago. Im also sure it has to do with the sound card because of the fact that my computer is a couple of years old. But yea, I dont hear anything from my speakers..no music..nothing. Im assuming its my sound card because my microphone doesnt work either and when I tried connecting some headphones...I couldnt hear squat.

I dont know much bout sound/audio cards. Is there anything I can do myself to try and fix it?

By the way im using Windows XP SP2.
    Gateway AMD Athlon Processor
    648 mhz 256mb ram

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I'd check the sound properties mabye one of the kids hit mute .

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    You can test the speakers by pluging them into some other sound device like a portable CD player or something similar.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by dOomed

I dont know much bout sound/audio cards. Is there anything I can do myself to try and fix it?
    Ummm...no.
    If VB's suggestion eliminates the speakers then you just replace the card.

After you've checked the mute button, of course.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg