* Create a 7zip Compressed Norton Internet Security Installer = 56MB
* Auto Register and Activate NIS2005. Auto 1 year subscription renewal.
* Slash unneeded files to further reduce the filesize of Norton Internet Security.
* Reduce the need to download 30mb liveupdates by slipstreaming updates before
compression. You will only need to download 7mb
Never activate your NIS2005 again. And the beauty of this method is that
the subscription automatically resets to 1 year each time you install NIS2005.exe
1. Install Norton Internet Security 2005 like you regularly do
2. Note the serial key that you used.
3. Activate your Norton Internet Security 2005
4. Reboot to Safe Mode
Go to "Path=C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC"
Look for a file "symlcrst.dll" <<--- Registration File Will only work for this particular hardware. Sorry no walk around to this protection method by symantec.
Winrar SFX the file:
Add this to the comment
;The comment below contains SFX script commands
Path=Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC
replace the "XXXX' with your own key.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
Note this will only work with your particular PC.
But you can make multiple "symlcrst.dll and regkeys" and use wpi method to select
which symlcrst.dll and regkey you want to install.
How to strip down the filesize of NIS2005 from 205mb to about 53.6mb
For Example if you have Norton Internet Security 2005
in folder NIS2005 the files inside should look like this.
We need to delete one file and a folder.
The easiest way is to use the search function
Search and Delete
From 205MB that should cut down the size to 147MB
Updating URLList or Download Here
1. Download and Install all the updates for NIS2005.
3. go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton Internet Security.
4. You will find your updated UrlList (file)
5. Search your NIS2005 (source file) Folder for URLLIST.exe
6. Right Click on it. and Open it with Winrar
7. Drag the Urllist from C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton Internet Security and paste it into the UrlList.exe, [that you opened with winrar].
8. The urllist.exe will now be updated as of today.
Question: why are we doing this?
Answer: so when you install NIS2005 you wont need to download most of the hotfixes and patches. It is like slipstreaming.
If you dont update your UrlList.exe your looking at 30mb + download.
If we update the urllist.exe when it is time to do a liveupdate, u will be downloading
1. Highlight and select all the files in NIS2005 Directory & Select Archive
2. Edit the filename to NIS2005.7z if needed
3. Set compression to Ultra
4. The result will be a file called NIS2005.7z
5. Download NIS2005_Tools.exe
6. Extract the files from NIS2005_tools.rar to the same folder as NIS2005.7z.
7. Click on Run_Me.exe
8. A file will be created called NIS2005.exe <--- Your new 53.6 MB installer.
* pls dont ask about virus definitions. Since you will need to constantly update this
file it is futile to integrate it.
Good luck from Astalavista.