Thread: Ares 1.8.1 problem

cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    problem is all the files wont show up properly even though i know they're there. everytime i start up i have to go and select (manual config) the folders i want to share (i have shitload mind you, well over 300gb of files) and click ok, it takes its sweet dear long time then it shows all the files properly (like for example after it scans itll say: all (10000 files); audio (7656); image (25); software (100); video (432) etc etc. but then after about a minute or two those numbers just disappear and itll display: all (42); audio (50; image (0); software (1); video (4), i want to share the files but this god damn thing wont let me. its like restricting the number of files i want to share, any solutions? in the end its not really my loss, its a loss for those n00bs that download from me on ares. this problem jsut started occuring this month, i've been meaning to ask but after i've searched for solutions. obviously i have not found any so far (i'm well aware i haven't looked hard enough).

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    don't share your entire hard drive LOL
    "library>preferances>manual configure" expand view by clicking the lil + signs, then uncheck every folder you don't want shared. your download folder will still be shared

EDIT or the quicker way, with ares closed delete:
    C:\Program Files\Ares\data\Shared Folders.txt
    C:\Program Files\Ares\data\ShareH.dat
    C:\Program Files\Ares\data\ShareL.dat
    Last edited by Vargas; 07-04-2005 at 05:05 AM.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    ya well i dont share my whole hard drive, i just share audio and video files, mostly audio. and i have a lot of audio. the method u told me to use is what i already use, it'll show the correct number o shared files then blam, it'll reduce in size to ridiculous number of files (like 10 when it should be 3000). ill try the other method (deleting the 3 files) see if it works, thanks for the post.
    Last edited by cpt_azad; 07-04-2005 at 05:10 AM.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    ok, only shared 4-5 folders to see if it was an overload problem, so as u can see i did the normal method (after deleting those 3 files) by lib>preferences>manual config (which i always use) and it will show the correct number of files (mind you this is a fraction of my collection, i just wanted to see if a sharing a portion would get rid of the problem or not):

and then 10 seconds later...:

maybe it's an overlaod problem but w/e it is it's not going away and i cant seem to solve it. i've already uninstalled and reinstalled ares 5 times w/ no effect. any suggestions will be greatly appreciated it. and just so u know i have peerguardian and norton AV 05 running, but then again i've always had those running b4 the problem ever surfaced.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    what exactly is the problem? the time it takes to hash the files? (set the hashing priorty higher) or not shareing some filetypes? (ares won't share certan file extentions) or maybe i'm missing the point
    instead of virtual view use regular view for a better idea of what is the exact problem

ok after re-reading your posts and looking at the pics...
    set hashing priority to highest, and once theyre all hashed close ares and reopen it.
    if it rehashes again, maybe the files are changing, like WMP does when playing files, with the default settings, it edits your media every time you play them and changes the hash...
    am i getting warm?
    Last edited by Vargas; 07-04-2005 at 05:50 AM.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    ya i think so. ill set hashing priority to highest and then do what you told me to, but if what you say is true then it shouldn't make that much of a diff cuz i do use other media players to listen to my music, but as far as file extensions go they're all normal mp3's, mpegs and avi's. u know in the end i could care less, i just want to be able to let other ppl download off of me on ares that haven't discovered the wonders of bittorrent yet.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    ill post back if it worked or not, and one last thing that i think i overlooked:

everything was fine a month ago, i had thousands of files on ares and there was no problem at all, it all started a month ago and i dont know what caused it.

highest priority (so far so good):
    Last edited by cpt_azad; 07-04-2005 at 06:24 AM.