Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's the most reliable DVD media?

Duffman's Avatar Poster
    Yeah but the media is the cheapest and the biggest variable, why buy a hundred stack of blank dvds, end up with a coaster and keep byeing new burners till one works?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman
    Yeah but the media is the cheapest and the biggest variable, why buy a hundred stack of blank dvds, end up with a coaster and keep byeing new burners till one works?
    not in australia it isn't expect to pay $4 each for DVDr or $50 for a pack of 25 where you can get a burner for $132

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Quote Originally Posted by Adster
    not in australia it isn't expect to pay $4 each for DVDr or $50 for a pack of 25 where you can get a burner for $132
    OMG! And I was bitching about the recent price jump from .25 cents to .32 cents per/disc for TAIYO YUDEN at supermedia.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    If you haven't already got it (or something similar) get DvdInfoPro. You can find out exactly which dye your media uses. If you are having problems with a brand make a note of the dye, than don't buy disks with that dye.

I find that my NEC drive seems to work fine with Ritek G05 based media. I've been using Ridisc Xtreme which are 8x rated but burn fine at 16x. Unfortunately I just got some more Ridisc media, and despite the name they haven't even got Ritek dye. They won't burn at 16x, in fact I just burnt a 2.5GB disk and I don't think it even got above 4x.

I guess the thing to do is check the quality here when you find a cheap one. I would say that if it isn't listed there don't buy it. If it is listed there, check out different media with the same media code. Watch out for poisoned reviews though, I read one guy complaining about the burning troubles he had, then said the media wouldn't read in 7 players.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    heres something interesting

I had a Lite On burner and just about every 4th copy or lets say every 2nd or 3rd copy I would make the end of the movie is fucked I went everywhere searching for the problem tryed 10 different software tryed shit loads of different media you name it wouldn't solve it the answer I got from most people was 90% of thees cases are DVD media. also data I would burn would be fucked at the edge of the disk yes tryed write speed at 1!!

audio CDs would be perfect though

well guess what I just recently purchased a Pioneer burner no coasters!!!! its consistent so it was the burner all along

so obviously the burner was not compatible to some reason

just saying its not always the medias fault
    the problem with the liteon could have been most likely fixed with a hacked firmware.You most likely had a huge number of errors at the end of the disc.I think the "omnipatcher tool" solves this issue with force fall back http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=97590 If you still own the burner you may like to have a little fun playing with it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by accat13

I had a Lite On burner and just about every 4th copy or lets say every 2nd or 3rd copy I would make the end of the movie is fucked I went everywhere searching for the problem tryed 10 different software tryed shit loads of different media you name it wouldn't solve it the answer I got from most people was 90% of thees cases are DVD media. also data I would burn would be fucked at the edge of the disk yes tryed write speed at 1!!

well guess what I just recently purchased a Pioneer burner no coasters!!!! its consistent so it was the burner all along

the problem with the liteon could have been most likely fixed with a hacked firmware.You most likely had a huge number of errors at the end of the disc.I think the "omnipatcher tool" solves this issue with force fall back http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=97590 If you still own the burner you may like to have a little fun playing with it.
    thanks sounds interesting

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by accat13
    even the sonic is a crap shoot everything from tygo2 to Longten 001 http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.ph...+or+List+Media
    Dont know if you have ever tried it but tygo2 is great. Between me and my brother in law, weve gone though a few thousand w/o a bad burn that wasnt the dvd burner's fault.
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    ill tell you one brand to NEVER EVER GET!! PRINCO

another interesting thing is the stuff I burned on teh LITE ON wouldnt play on DVD players and wouldnt play on my LITE ON DVD but it will play on Pioneer so I was able to revover some of that what I thought was fucked coasters

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19

Just curious which particular liteon it was.Also if you realized liteon(especially older models) don't particularly like dvd- media .I've burnt a few ty's that were dvd minus.Lets just say they really work great as coasters.The liteon drives also develops a memory of the last three or 4 burns, not that great if the burns were bad(can be cleaned with utilities http://codeguys.rpc1.org/utilities.html )

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by muchspl3
    I have never had a problem, I like Ritek/RiData but I buy the cheapest I can get

have you got the latest firmware for your burner? that fixes lots of compatibility issues

Same, i do with the cheapest i can find and buy in bulk of 200. So far i've had no problems.

It's a better idea to buy a good burner and cheap media, than a cheap burner and expensive media. Also my really cheap media is still working 2 years + on so nothing's degraded yet like some say.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast