Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ram Questions

JMK's Avatar Blah
    I am currently running 1 stick of 512ddr2. I was wondering would it be in my best interest to upgrade to 1gb? Would i notice much of a performance gain? Also, is there much of a performance gain from 1gb to 2gb? Finally, I was wondering is it possible for me to buy a 1gb stick and still use my old 512 at the same time? Or would only more 512 work with the current 512?

My Current ram: here
    My Mobo: here
    Last edited by JMK; 07-07-2005 at 03:20 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    Well getting another stick of 512 won't hurt you, it will make things run faster.
    What processor do you have, you will only notice an increase in performance by fixing the systems bottle neck. If its the ram then go get more, but if its the cpu more ram won't help...

But at that price I say go for it.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    JMK's Avatar Blah
    I have a p4 3.2 processor. How much ram do you think my processor would be able to handle? I dont want to buy so much that I can't tell the difference between the amount i just put in and the amount I had before.

My processor: here
    Last edited by JMK; 07-07-2005 at 05:59 AM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Guyver's Avatar FORUM STONER
    UR processor is good, and it cant hurt to have more ram, so ya get it

Smith is a bag of douche,FACT.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    JMK, make this a bit easier for us just post your full system specs, the mobo, cpu, ram, video card, all of it. But you can leave out the motherboard and the RAM I guess because we already know it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman
    JMK, make this a bit easier for us just post your full system specs, the mobo, cpu, ram, video card, all of it. But you can leave out the motherboard and the RAM I guess because we already know it.

So basically you want to know what his Video Card is

Yes get the ram, however you will want to keep it the same speed as your other stick of ram as buying anythign faster will just run at the slower sticks speed anyway

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Doesn't it matter if you are currently using all of the 512?

If you still have free RAM when you run all the programs you use then adding more RAM won't make a difference. Run the most programs you normally run and then check in the Windows Task Manager>Performance tab>Physical Memory Available.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    Doesn't it matter if you are currently using all of the 512?

If you still have free RAM when you run all the programs you use then adding more RAM won't make a difference. Run the most programs you normally run and then check in the Windows Task Manager>Performance tab>Physical Memory Available.
    Not necessarily. If some of the memory used by progs has been shipped out to VM you could still have Available Physical Memory, so that viewpoint is not necessarily valid.

Take the Total Physical Memory and subtract the Total Kernel Memory. This gives the Usable Physical Memory. If this is greater than the Total Commit Charge, then you don't need more memory. If it is less, then more memory may give you a performance improvement, but how much depends on how the progs you are using are shipped out to VM.

Note: the above is only an approximate calculation of Usable Physical Memory.
    Last edited by lynx; 07-07-2005 at 04:17 PM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    JMK's Avatar Blah
    I did what you said lynx and i did all the math and it was around 300,000 less. This was when i was playing counterstrike source while playing music like i usually do. Someone asked what vid card I have. I have GeForce 6600 GT pci-e. So with that said.. how much more ram should I buy?
    Last edited by JMK; 07-07-2005 at 08:41 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by JMK
    I have GeForce 6600 GT pci-e. So with that said.. how much more ram should I buy?
    Id buy another stick of what you currently have.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast