Thread: How To Get Best Quality Recordings To Cd

Hi all
    This is my first post, so i'll make it a thick one!

I want to burn to cd the best quality downloads i can. Now so far i have downloaded a number of large wav files (1411 kbps), which are by far the best quality, but obviously they can be painstakingly slow and there aren't a large number of them around. Anyway my question is, does converting a downloaded mp3 to a wav file result in the file being the same quality as if you had downloaded it from kazaalite as a wav originally? In other words can you improve an mp3s sound quality by converting it to a wav file, thus resulting in a better quality of sound once burned to cd?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Music   -   #2
    Have a look at this thread. It should give you the info you need.

3. Music   -   #3
    summerlinda's Avatar Pyretta¤Blaze
    Wow, you must be very patient, downloading wav's..........
    I dont know much about it, but if you download a mp3 file at good bitrate (192 vbr or up) you have excellent quality.

4. Music   -   #4
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by vimto17@10 April 2003 - 15:27
    Hi all
    This is my first post, so i'll make it a thick one!

I want to burn to cd the best quality downloads i can. Now so far i have downloaded a number of large wav files (1411 kbps), which are by far the best quality, but obviously they can be painstakingly slow and there aren't a large number of them around. Anyway my question is, does converting a downloaded mp3 to a wav file result in the file being the same quality as if you had downloaded it from kazaalite as a wav originally? In other words can you improve an mp3s sound quality by converting it to a wav file, thus resulting in a better quality of sound once burned to cd?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Very simply, the answer is NO. Once a file has been converted to mp3, some "data" is removed from it. You can convert it back to .wav format, but the data is still gone. If you are looking for .wav files, you are probably wasting your time. The human ear can't notice the difference between a well coded mp3 and a wav file.
    Proud member of MDS

5. Music   -   #5
    Cheers for the replies. Jibbler im a little confused then, even after reading that guide that was linked, why would you want to convert a file back to wav if if doesn improve the sound quality, ie like you said the data is lost once it is an MP3. Why not burn onto cd in mp3 format?

6. Music   -   #6
    TRshady
    Main reason is that you can't play mp3's in older stereos or cd players and I don't think they ever will become standard because its only a matter of time before albums on dvd are released which will become the new "cd albums" and will have full support for dolby, 6:1 etc and be in amazing qualtiy (as if live). Anyone heard about this?

7. Music   -   #7
    Originally posted by TRshady@11 April 2003 - 02:47
    Main reason is that you can't play mp3's in older stereos or cd players and I don't think they ever will become standard because its only a matter of time before albums on dvd are released which will become the new "cd albums" and will have full support for dolby, 6:1 etc and be in amazing qualtiy (as if live). Anyone heard about this?

And yes, TRshady has it right. Mp3 format is fine if you are listening to the files on your computer. In order to burn them to disk so that they will play in a standalone CD player, you need to convert them to .wav before burning. Most burning programs do this for you, behind the scenes.
    Yes, its called DVD Audio, and its already available for some classic releases like Dark Side of the Moon, etc. Eventually, the Dolby encoded surround sound DVDs will replace CDs in their current format.
    Proud member of MDS

8. Music   -   #8
    I doubt that......if i remember correctly people said that soon they would stop selling records and tapes for vid's and tape players!

9. Music   -   #9
    They never said they would stop selling records or tapes because of CDs. Although the numbers don't lie, all the LP sales and cassette combined don't equal the amount of CDs being purchased.
    Proud member of MDS