Thread: Spyware may slow P2P, not RIAA

Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    [news=http://img283.imageshack.us/img283/2636/spyware7tm.gif]In its latest research the Pew Internet and American Life Project finds that fear of spyware is changing the habits of Americans who utilize the Net. Because of this fear they are shunning certain web sites, stopped opening email attachments and, yes, avoiding file sharing networks.

None of this comes as a surprise. Grokster, who recently lost a case in the Supreme Court, is one of the worst contributers to the spyware problem. Loading the application absolutely cripples a PC with spyware and adware.

According to the Pew study 91% of those polled have made some change in their Internet habits specifically because of spyware. Of those, 25% have stopped using file sharing software.

This has to be music to the ears of the various media lobbies who have tried everything to stamp out file sharing. Ironically, with all the lawsuits and congressional activities they have undertaken (all of which have had modest or no affect-- so far) it is an element of the market itself, the over use of adware, that may have the biggest influence on consumer habits.

There are plenty of file sharing applications that use no spyware, but the likes of Grokster and others have spoiled the reputation for all. File sharing has continued to rise and is at record levels, but we may soon start to see some pull back as consumers get fed up with having to run three different anti-spyware applications to retain control of their own PCs.

When that happens the record industry will take all of the credit anyway. They have spent a lot of money on their lobbying efforts and have to justify it to the stockholders somehow.

Source: MP3newswire.net[/news]
    Last edited by tesco; 07-13-2005 at 10:19 PM.

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Retired
    25% have stopped using file sharing software.
    because of adware

its not that hard to find filesharing software without adware.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Hanz™'s Avatar making the world go BT Rep: +3
    Downloads with adware in them will be the main problem.
    Most people do not realise that "*.jpg.exe" is most likely a virus/malware prog.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    who recently lost a case in the Supreme Court
    What did Grokster lose on the Supreme Court, exactly? They didnt get a fine or jailtime as far as i know,
    I thought there was a ruling from SupremeCourt that p2p software-companys can be held
    liable if they advertise about breaking the copyright laws.
    The p2p software itself is not Illegal, that didnt change.
    The ruling didnt end the Grokster case, it did send it back to courts.
    They will do the (most likely) losing in lower courts later, imo.
    Maybe that Grokster/Riaa case was finished allready and I missed it, in that case desregard my rant and read on:

When any of the ppl I know gets their PC jammed because of malware,
    it wont make 'em stop p2p apps.
    The Internet has become more hostile towards endusers and it seems its going that way.

It's a matter of education about what the malware is and where it comes from.
    And that includes learning not to download useless shite and learning what to download and wherefrom/how.

Spoiler: Show

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Orange_Boy's Avatar Metal Head
    My downloads never have ad-ware anyways..
    Coming Soon!

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Meh, I reckon that a lot of the people who can't figure out how to avoid spyware belong to the same bunch who are afraid of sharing.

'sides, if they've come into contact with a lot of spyware it's prolly 'cos they've been using KMD or something.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    muchspl3's Avatar muchspl3 > muchspl2
    Quote Originally Posted by {I}{K}{E}
    25% have stopped using file sharing software.
    because of adware

its not that hard to find filesharing software without adware.
    Think of how stupid the average person is and then realize that half of them are stupider than that