Page 1 of 70 12341151 ... LastLast

Thread: I would like to argue something pretty important to me.

tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    Hi everyone, how you all doing?

I would like to make a discussion out of this: People worried about traveling to Israel.

As you all know, Israel has been under attack from the Palestinians for nearly 4 years now. This has cause major events not to take place in Israel (Maccabi Haifa had to play their Champions League clashes in Cyprus.. and that's only 1 example out of many).

Now, following the terrorist attack on London, my home city, I would like to ask ya'll: Why are you worried to come to Israel?
    What's so different here than anywhere else in the world? 9/11, Baali bombings, Madrid, London...... nowhere is safe nowadays, so why not come and visit Israel?

The last suicide attack in Israel was over 6 months ago (which is a long time considering that during the first 6 months of the Intifadah there were around 2 attacks every week..).

I would like to argue the fact that sports organizations and culural organizations over the world are "affraid to come to Israel because of the ongoing war".

And I ask: Is it THAT much safer in New-York? London? Paris?
    It's just a matter of time until the next one.

Israel, and this is a fact, has the safest airline in the world, the safest airport in the world, and generally is the safest place in the world considering the ammount of attacks that are attempted every year (hundreds are attempted, and the most you could get nowadays is 2 in the worst case, leaving 10-20 dead in the worst worst worst case).

So, do you now have any different feelings about the safety in Israel? I think it's sad that people brag about the safety of their country, when they don't even have 1 security guard at the entrance to the malls, a thing that could easily allow a mad terrorist to enter and blow up the place leaving tens dead and hundreds wounded... I think it's time the world woke up - using security guards can only help the country, and even the economy!!

Just think - more security guards = extra safety, AND LESS UNEMPLOYMENT.
    Think about it - that's thousands of extra jobs for unemployed people who can get some cash in their hands and actually live a proper life.

What are your thoughts on this issue?

Rafi

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Tikibonbon's Avatar It'll Get Ya Drunk!
    I wouldn't be afraid to take a trip to Isreal, in fact, I once considered transfering with my job there. But common sense would tell me that there are some areas that I definitaly shouldn't go into. But that isn't anything Isreal specific. Same as if I took a vacation in Jamaica.
    http://jerome.galica.free.fr/dc%20comics/Green%20Lantern/GreenLantern_ION.gif

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Sure there are places in Israel you keep away from.

Just a couple of examples:

The Muslim Quarter in the Old City of Jerusalem
    Hebron
    Anywhere too close to the Gaza strip and/or the West Bank
    Anywhere too close to the Syrian/Lebanese border

There are plenty other places, but all of them together are only a minor percentage of Israel.... Israel is safe to visit and live in..!!!!!

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    For many non-Jewish Americans, I'd imagine Israel ain't a blip on the Ihavtavisitthere radar.

Then add the fact of there being an ongoing war where a suicide bomber may walk into a cafe and reduce to rubble then there you have it.

Israel isn't known as a big tourist attraction besides Jerusalem.
    Last edited by Busyman; 07-08-2005 at 01:07 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Maybe not, but please remember that the country that unfortunately suffered the biggest and most horrific attack ever was... the USA.

I visited the US on a Jewish delegation to Pittsburgh, and once again was amazed at the fact that there are NO guards at the entrances to simple places like cafe's and cheap shops.. even some malls.....
    This fact could lead an Islamic nutjob who has US citizenship to create his own explosive device, and kill some 20 people tomorrow.

I'm shocked that after 4 major attacks on the world by Al-Quaeda all countries attacked have barely changed.
    The US made adjustments to airports, but I think they overdid it - Israel's airport aint got half the devices that the US one has and is considered the safest airport in the world (and also has the biggest Duty Free ).
    London I bet you will carry on as if nothing happened to try prove to the terrorists that they are unbeatable. In another 2 years another attack will take place if Britain does not change it's security status.
    The same regarding Madrid.

I hope I've made myself clear.

P.S: I never meant that people have to visit Israel... What I meant was that if people want to visit Israel and are scared, then they are completely out of order in my view, because as the world has seen - many other countries are extremely vulnerable to terrorist attacks.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    That is what terrorists want to do, spread fear and disrupt life.

If these countries that have been attacked have to put guards at these locations, terrorist have won.

But if you visited Busy's part of the land, I am sure he can tell you of having security everywhere. Tho that isn't against terrorists. More due to certain demographics.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    I think I agree with busyman on this one, certainly with regard to the travelling yank. There just aren't that many of them (proportionatelly) who leave the ewe essay to go anywhere.

If they do it's more likely to be a whistle stop tour of Europe.

Israel doesn't really have that much to entertain your average travelling phillistine.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Well, if you're looking for amusement parks and stuff like that then no.
    Israel has many cultural places to visit, even for non-jews: Nazareth, the Jordan river, Jerusalem, Eilat, the deserrt and many more.

@Tikibonbon: Fine, lets not put up guards, say we won, and live in the fear that the next person coming in might just be the one who will blast the place down.. is that what you want?

As I said - more guards = more safety, less enemployment.

I don't see why people should object to this.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Heavy handed techniques to combat terrorists don't work. Israel are the country which retaliate the hardest against terrorist strikes and they have the worst problem. An eye for an eye only precipitates the problem.

You say that nothing will change in London. Good. I hope we continue with the same freedom of movement and expression as we always have. Yes we will be vigilant but we cannot offer our citizens 100% security against this sort of thing. The people understand this.

I believe that we were targeted because of our affiliation with the US' aggressive foreign policy. I hope that our government takes heed of this and distances itself. Apart from increased vigilance by our police and other institutions - that is the only reaction I want to see.

As to visiting Israel; I would not. There are a few cities that I would like to visit because of their historical significance but until the trouble at those places ceases significantly then I will not put myself or my family at risk ... added to that, while on holiday I don't wish to be herded like cattle because of draconian security measures implemented because it's simply not safe to do otherwise.

Thanks anyway.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    I think I agree with busyman on this one, certainly with regard to the travelling yank. There just aren't that many of them (proportionatelly) who leave the ewe essay to go anywhere.

If they do it's more likely to be a whistle stop tour of Europe.

Israel doesn't really have that much to entertain your average travelling phillistine.
    hmm, I wonder how the 117 travel agencies in this town stay open then.....

Isreal is actually a major destination, we do have a few Jews after all.

JPaul, you seem to dismiss all the humanitarian groups that travel the world over on a continual basis. For example, my gf makes two trips to honduras annually.

Page 1 of 70 12341151 ... LastLast