Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Britain Football Team in Olympics?

manker's Avatar effendi
    It would be a bit tricky putting Irish players in the squad, as RF said, they'll have their own team but I know what you mean.

Giggsy would have had about 100 caps for England by now. They haven't had a decent left winger since McManamanI can't remember England ever having a decent left winger.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. Sports Club   -   #12
    Joe Cole

Duff > Giggs

3. Sports Club   -   #13
    manker's Avatar effendi
    He's not a winger and Duff isn't fit to lace Giggs' boots
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

4. Sports Club   -   #14
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Arent the Olympics for non-professional athletes these days?

Sure they used to be for amateurs...

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. Sports Club   -   #15
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    Arent the Olympics for non-professional athletes these days?

Sure they used to be for amateurs...
    Used to be. At least I believe so.

I can't remember that far back tho'

I think the amateur thing has been replaced symbolically by the athletes not getting paid for winning or taking part. It's all for glory.

6. Sports Club   -   #16
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Yeah, Giggs will be at his peak in 7 years, along with a whole load of the current England and Welsh Squad players.

The Republic of Ireland compete in the Olympics, how could their players play in a Great Britain puntsphere team.

Scotland are shite, we know this and accept it. However England haven't exactly done well reaching major finals in .... decades. You aren't as good as you think chaps. You are at the top level, but you are far from dominating it .

England = Great Players / Underachieving Team.

7. Sports Club   -   #17
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Maybe it's time to stop accepting it and start changing the structure of Scottish football.

There is no reason why Scotland shouldn't have a competitive team. The tradition is there, all the kids play it, people want to watch it - but the leagues are full with half finished foreigners who can't get a game anywhere else.

The SFA should stop arsing about with pointless alterations to the leagues and start negotiating to get the Glasgow teams in the premiership. Possibly other teams too, in lower leagues.

The existing Scottish leagues could then be a feeding ground for younger players to ply their trade before getting a move to one of the six or seven bigger clubs that play in the English leagues.

Wales have never had a competent governing body, nor clubs that have the financial power or consistently high class playing personel that you have in Glasgow. Also there's a much smaller potential player base here.

Sure, it would be a knock to national pride in the short term but it would definitely benefit the national team.

8. Sports Club   -   #18
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Actually we have a lot of good young players coming thro'. Celtic and rangers have decent youth policies in place and are starting to bring some lads thro'. I think this will continue, as they see it as the best way forward without the spending of mad (for us) money

I agree the best thing that could happen to the national team would be to get rid of Celtic and rangers, then the other clubs could develop their youth without having to try to compete in battles they couldn't win.

A few seem to be trying that with some success. However it is inevitable that Celtic and Rangers snap those lads up. However if they continue to develop that isn't really a problem, from a National team perspective.

I think our National Team will start to improve, there is certainly some good potential there. Walter Smith just has to give the young boys a chance.

9. Sports Club   -   #19
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Meh, Brazille in a route.

Peace bd

10. Sports Club   -   #20
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I think that is the problem, smaller teams are getting these older foreign players in an effort to compete with the Glasgow clubs, in doing so denying a chance for younger players to develop their own careers.

The two joining the English league has been talked about ever since I can remember. There always seems to be some problem or other to prevent it, more is the pity. It would also be good from an English football fan's point of view - as it would if Cardiff can sort themselves out and make a proper push for promotion.

Cross border rivalry is something that could only enhance the Premiership.

I think it would be better for the national team if other Scottish teams also had the chance to play their soccer in England but getting Celtic and rangers* there is paramount.

*Jockish grammar, apparently

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast