Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NTL upload limit

DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Quote Originally Posted by enoughfakefiles
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    the cap doesnt really seem to be in place though
    They said they were`nt going to monitor it till later on this year dan, and then they said they`d only say something if you were really abusing it.
    hmmm

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    I have a feeling they will probably be watching the cap for those who've gone for the £9.99 option, it wouldn't make sense to offer that and let people get the 30GB that the more expensive option allows.

I wonder if they would classify 100GB+ as "abusing it".
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #13
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    they first sneaked the cap into the aup over 2 years ago i think, everybody started flapping but i only read of 1 person who got a letter, and that was for uploading i think. trouble is that ntl is the best broadband provider in our area, would not go anywhere near BT caus after the debacle i had with them on surftime with restrictions (despite being told you could use it as much as you want) i will not trust them again.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    I think you folks are confusing upload speeds with bandwidth.

Upload speeds slower than download speeds is simply a feature of ADSL, in fact it is what the A stands for - Assymetric, in other words not identical in each direction.

It is quite common for upload speeds to remain static while download speeds go up, but not even NTL could restrict you to 20kb/s. I suspect you mean 20KB/s (bytes) which is equivalent to 160kb/s (bits). However, that's not a speed I've ever seen used, so it is more likely to be 128kb/s or 256kb/s.
    My Bad I did mean 20KB/s Not 20Kb/s

I Should also of said approx 20KB/s Because it fluctuates Between 17/23KB/s
    but mainly steady at 20KB/s after about 2hrs of unrestricted uploading .

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #15
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    .....Upload speeds slower than download speeds is simply a feature of ADSL, in fact it is what the A stands for - Assymetric, in other words not identical in each direction..
    in the uk, ntl is cable, so they can put whatever up and down speed they wish, i believe?

but the rest of the point still holds
    <insert signature here>

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #16
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by vivitron 15
    .....Upload speeds slower than download speeds is simply a feature of ADSL, in fact it is what the A stands for - Assymetric, in other words not identical in each direction..
    in the uk, ntl is cable, so they can put whatever up and down speed they wish, i believe?

but the rest of the point still holds
    It is still a form of broadband, so there are limits imposed by the technology.

The same is true for Broadband over phone lines, thay too can put whatever speeds they like within the available technology. I'll get an upgrade to 8 mb/s down 832kb/s up when it is available in my area, but that's not likely to be before late in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis01
    trouble is that ntl is the best broadband provider in our area, would not go anywhere near BT caus after the debacle i had with them on surftime with restrictions (despite being told you could use it as much as you want) i will not trust them again.
    You are quite right about BT, their service is total crap. Check out freedomtosurf though, depending on where you are you can get up to 8mb/s now. All of UK will be covered by the end of the year, but speed depends on the distance from the exchange. And if you are in one of the LLU enabled areas and are willing to switch your phone line over to Easynet you could get 24mb/s.
    Last edited by lynx; 07-19-2005 at 01:31 AM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12