Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Gaming anograms??

Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Wikipedia has a good page about acronyms and initialism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronyms#Written_usage

Initialism originally referred to abbreviations formed from initials, without reference to pronunciation, but during the middle portion of the twentieth century, when acronyms and initialisms saw more use than ever before, the word acronym was coined for abbreviations which are pronounced as a word, like "NATO" or "AIDS". The term initialism is now typically taken to refer to abbreviations which are pronounced by sounding out the name of each constituent letter (e.g. HTML). Some have erroneously extended the term acronym in meaning to describe all abbreviations made from initial letters, regardless of pronunciation.
    They also link to a huge list of acronyms, initialisms and acronym-initialism hybrids.

The etymology of the word also supports Busyman's point:

1943 coinage from acro-, comb. form of Gk. akros "tip, end" (see acrid) + Eng. -onym "name" (abstracted from homonym; see name). The practice was non-existent before 20c. except in cabalistic esoterica and acrostic poetry.
    The second part actually means "name".

2. Games   -   #42
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by asmithz
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    I must remember...most of you are sheep and do not seek to learn anything....except the first hit on Google.

Of course it makes no difference to you. Skizo has zipped up and you can go to your next job.
    Yep your so right

Does making a fuse on the internet make you sleep better at night?
    Yep, especially when I see

Folks have spotty reading comprehension
    Use the first google site they see
    Are compelled to suck salty balls when they could have kept their mouth closed
    Are not humble and act like they can't admit wrongness

Besides all that shit.....IT'S ENTATANEMUNT!!!!
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345