Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freeze ups->White Screen after post->Monitor going on and off

Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1

My kid brother's computer has been acting up for a few days, with some crashing and freezeups.

However, today it got worse, with freezeups, and even the odd white screen after posting/while booting up, tho' it mostly got all the way into windows.

So we figured it was either windows gone weird or the graphics card (<- fairly new and thus a likely culprit).

First we tried reinstalling windows, and, as far as we could tell everything frooze up during formatting (it might have been working in the background, but the leds gave us no indication).

After that we tried swapping graphics cards, and it got really weird.

First, for some odd reason, we didn't get the option of starting from the windows disc, instead it went in hyperspeed, like, into booting up the (half formatted) windows install, while the monitor was going on and off every other second.

After shutting down (not very surprisingly, windows didn't work too well, and the monitor kept going on and off) we did manage to get into the installer and proceeded to format.

But all along the monitor kept going on and off. We can format, and install, but the monitor just keeps going on and off, on and off.

It has subsided some now in that it doesn't do it quite as frequently, but it's still acting a bit weird.

Do you think it's the monitor (could it make the other graphics card freeze up?), the monitor and the graphics card or maybe the PSU (it's a not yet six months old fortron, ffs)? Or do you have another idea about what it can be?

The windows installer is doing fine, so I don't think it's the mobo/ram/hds.
    Last edited by Snee; 07-11-2005 at 12:42 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Ah, as it was trying to boot, I got "irql not less or equal".

Could it still be the monitor?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Meh, it was the monitor, lugged my own monitor over and tried it on his computer, and it worked.

Guess I should have figured the moment I saw his monitor was made by "KFC"

Sorry 'bout posting this thread.
    Last edited by Snee; 07-11-2005 at 02:42 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Got another white screen with the new monitor (after reinstalling windows and setting everything up again without a hitch), but this time it didn't lock up windows , he could still reboot (bit tricky when he couldn't see a thing, though).

He'd just installed qt alternative and had started playing a movie (he installed it on his computer [the day before] yesterday too, and the white screen problems started this morning [the morning after]), so we got rid of that.

Will see if that is the end of it. I have a hard time seeing how it could be that though, as he even got the white screens before he had booted up windows (I know we tried reinstalling it, but I hadn't really heard the whole story when I suggested that to him, and he was doing it anyway) and the freezeups before that (could be a heat thing, tho').

If nothing else happens, we'll try the old monitor again in a couple of days (dug through storage to find him a spare one from my dad's computer and that's what he's got now).
    We do have the new gfx card installed, but his computer did the blinky thing with the other card, so I doubt it's down to the gfx card.

If it persists then maybe it might be mobo-related

Feel free to post any theories you might have about this, if you have any
    Last edited by Snee; 07-13-2005 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Clarifciations, had forgotten it wasn't evening but the morning the next day

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    The bugs of mystery have continued.

As it got gradually worse, we narrowed it down to one of three: CPU, MOBO or Ram (the PSU is almost new, and the voltages are stable).

Currently it sometimes doesn't even get past POSTing, and it can't really handle windows for extended periods any more.

Before that it worked for a long time after we'd reset bios to optimized defaults, but repeating that again hasn't helped.

Tried taking out one stick of ram at a time, but got nothing conclusive from that.
    Took out both hds, no difference.

Knoppix says it's an APIC cpu error something, which can be indicative of a bad mobo.
    Going to try some other stuff tomorrow, another processor for one thing, but my guess at this point is that it's the mobo. Which is very very odd as it did all kinds of odd, graphics-related things before which I could have sworn was indicative of a bad graphics card and/or monitor.

I've never seen a processor die before (ok, maybe once, but that was from overclocking, which is muy different), but I can't imagine they do it this slowly.

And it's been working sporadically, when we actually were trying to get an error it took ages. Including when I tried prime 95 (it never crashed from doing that).

What can be learned from this is that some errors can be lots of fun.

Oh and that you can get indications of what component is buggered just by trying to boot up knoppix.

Kept posting here 'cos I thought it might be of help for others. This is prolly too unusual to bother about describing further, tho'.
    Last edited by Snee; 07-13-2005 at 09:52 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    good luck

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    If it is slowly getting worse, and you are absolutely certain that the PSU is ok, I suspect that some part of the voltage regulation is failing on the mobo, probably one or more of the large caps, they are about the only thing that can fail slowly. Check them carefully, and look for any signs of bulging.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Thanks lynx, I thought it might be something like that, I've seen the caps go twice, on his old mobo and my old one.

I've decided that we are going to try another PSU tomorrow, just in case, tho'.

Can I be sure it isn't the CPU then?
    'cos I was going to try another, but if you, like me can't see how that could go down as slowly as it does, I'll skip that part.
    Last edited by Snee; 07-14-2005 at 01:32 AM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Goes Rawr!
    I had a similar problem on my Sony Vaio... After i had upgraded the vid card & some other parts.. I forgot to fully "Secure" all my psu cable to there corresponding parts and i got locksup left and right & some other unwanted errors. After i went and redid all my wiring, everything was like new

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    With all the problems listed in your original post, it seems that the monitor is the last of your worries.

yo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast