Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Before U Rip A Potential Leech A New One...

n00b
    First of all I'm currently sharing 872 files... a mix of movies, mp3s software, ebooks, bla bla bla...

Lately, I've been getting users IM me in the midst of a download, saying, "What are you, crazy? No sharing = No Downloads." That's the nicest one I've received. I've gotten chewed out by quite a few people in various languages.

One night, a user said, "F*** off, you leech!!" and I wrote back, informing this person of how many files I'm sharing. Then I noticed that my AutoSearchMore was going at the time and turnt it off. I told this lovely individual I feel the same way about leechers and to check it again. They showed up, and I continued my DL.

Sooooo... I guess my tip would be:

Before you rip someone a new one for leeching, check to make sure that they're really leeching. They could have the AutoSearchMore running.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Very Large Member
    Cant say it has but if you dont want them sort of messages you can ignore them:- OPTIONS>KAZAALITE OPTIONS>MESSAGES>IGNORE ALL INCOMING MESSAGES.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    n00b
    I've done that already, thanks.

I just wanted to make mention of it before doing so, so no one else gets cut off from downloading a hard-to-find file.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Well, there are also people running the privacy patch, which, if people were going to check their shared files, would make them appear to be leeching. So, there's also that to consider.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    TRshady
    That's why I don't use the privacy patch. As I said before people who dint share make me mad but if I check how do I know there not sharing?, but this is a great excuse not to share. Just say you are using the privacy patch. See, you can't win.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    n00b
    The way I see it is that the majority of leechers wouldn't delve too far off into kazaa's bells and whistles to even know what the privacy patch is. They just want to get their dl and run.

I don't even let it bother me anymore. Kharma's a mofo. In their haste they'll mess around and download a virus and trash their PC (or worse their parents' or crash the servers at work).

It would be cool if there was a way to automatically show how many files a user is sharing along with ETA, Bandwith and Filename. B)

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    I also want to point out, that there are people like me at universities, that have great connections, but are behind massive firewalls, and so cannot share files. I do share my files, but only people on my uni network can download off me. But if i could i would share for everyone! So its unfair when people dont let us download off em, if they try and see if we are sharing, and they think we aren't, when we actually cant!

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    If I see somone not sharing, if I dont see files I assume no one else can, meaning I block their ip with peer guardian and tell them either to fuck off, to share, faggot leecher etc

Also if i see nothing but 0kb files like that I stop it too

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Before you think this is "one of the leechers"....
    On p2p I share about 10Mb music and around 7Gb progs. with the odd film for luck. Using ADSL uploading has such little overhead everyone that can should share. But saying this balamm, if you dont want leechers dont use exploited public p2p networks. As it sounds you have a big beef with leechers other networks. direct connect or dc++ is run like irc, the network servers/hosts make the rules.

example
    You must share >20gb allow 3 downloads & >33kbps bandwidth for the little networks (excludes mainly modems)
    the larger download anything networks limit shares >50gb >132kbps >4 downloads

As for kazaa,imesh,the thousand others.
    We all know some people will not share for whatever reason so why be so anal looking for them.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    n00b
    see, this is why I've never asked a question or offered my opinion... in under ten posts, all this bitterness and dl snobbery comes out. I simply offered a tip, and a rant gets started.

You know what, balamm? Life isn't fair. Is it fair that someone went out and spent $700 on Adobe Premiere, shares it, and you get to download it on your $4000 computer for free? What if that person who put it there is behind a firewall and you cuss him out because he's downloading The Hampster Song? There's a guy that got fired for ripping open a DVD screener, but he shared it anyway. Is that fair that he got fired? No. But you're saving $20 by not having to buy that DVD, allowing you to spend that money on your computer. It works that way for you, for me (and my $4000 system + servers), and for everyone.

I'm not supporting leechers by any means... It doesn't bother me, actually. Like I said, kharma comes back around. The leechers don't know to cover their asses with anti-virus updates, etc and will eventually get burnt and lose it all. What bothers me is being accosted while my autosearch is on.

The fact of the matter is, WE'RE ALL GETTING THIS FOR FREE!!! I was gently just trying to get across to people who go off on unsuspecting downloaders to take a step back. It's your prerogative to cut someone off, just do so without being abusive. For those of you who police your uploads, you don't know why someone's not sharing. If you decide to cut them off, just do so without the snobbery.

Because of P2P, we get software, mp3's, DIVx's, those rare-assed movies and eBooks that have been banned! In case you didn't catch it the first time, we're all getting this for free!!

This is the last time I'll participate in the forums. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast