Thread: What does this mean? (Japanese sentence)

Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1

Question Mark

Well, a friend of mine sent me a letter with the following phrase in the end:
    "Hejimameshite? Josh Stallion desu. Osaka ni ikimasu. Watashi wa Pueble kara desu."

I can't find an easy method of translation, but I want to know what it says in english. He told me to translate if I want to know.

any help would be greatly appriciated!

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    "desu" is just a statement marker.

"Watashi" means I.

"Watashi wa" denotes a state of being , I think, can't describe it better. (wa marks the subject, tells you who the sentence is about)

If it had said "Osaka ni imasu" it had said something like "Am in Osaka", can't remember what happens when you add "iki" atm.

Can't remember what "kara" or the first word means (very sleepy) might be an entire sentence rolled up in one and dependent on context for all I know, "Pueble" is prolly a place or a name, doesn't sound very japanese to me.

Sorry 'bout the dodginess. Tired.

EDits:

"Osaka ni ikimasu" means "(Am) going to Osaka." I think, just remembered.

I think he was in Hejima (or is asking if someone was there), (no, I'm off, he saying "hajime mashite?" which means ~"I don't think I've ever seen you before", it's a greeting) is going to Osaka, the last bit I dunno at all, 'cept he's saying something about himself.

Maybe he's coming to Pueble? If his spelling is screwy.

Like I said, I could be off. Memory like a sieve atm.
    Last edited by Snee; 07-13-2005 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Clarifying

3. Lounge   -   #3
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    translation tool

Usually this is helpful but in this case it just repeated your sentence because you used western letters

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    translation tool

Usually this is helpful but in this case it just repeated your sentence because you used western letters

Hey thats great vidcc, thanx my wife talks to her cousin in Germany on msn and gets stumped on some of the words I could n't remember the site . She thanks you too.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    This might sound a silly question. But what language do you think in Snny? You can speak about seven as far as I can remember.
    I've always wondered how long you have to use a language regularly before you start thinking in that language.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    This might sound a silly question. But what language do you think in Snny? You can speak about seven as far as I can remember.
    I've always wondered how long you have to use a language regularly before you start thinking in that language.
    Swedish and sometimes English.

Not fluent in any of the others. And a couple I just understand, I don't need to speak them, 'cos they get what I'm saying anyway.

@Wolfmight:

Sorry about the mess but so far it's:

"I don't think I've ever met you before? (a formal greeting more than a literal question). (I'm/It's) Jim Stallion. (I'm) going to Osaka.

Still can't remember "kara", it's prolly something easy. It's the verb of the sentence I think, anyway.

It could be "kuru", in which case the last bit means "I'm coming to Pueble"
    [EDit: d'oh, almost right, I think he says that he's "coming from Pueble."
    Googled it and it's a place in Mexico, right?]

And remember that "desu" just tells you it's a statement, sort of like spoken punctuation (had it been a question marker it had said "desu-ka", pronunced ~"desska". "Wa" after a word tells you that word is the subject of the sentence. And "ni" is a locative, tells you there's a direction or position involved.

I'm sure someone one here knows this better than me though, you just need to wait.
    Last edited by Snee; 07-13-2005 at 11:02 AM.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY

"I don't think I've ever met you before? (a formal greeting more than a literal question). (I'm/It's) Jim Stallion. (I'm) going to Osaka.

Still can't remember "kara", it's prolly something easy. It's the verb of the sentence I think, anyway.

And remember that "desu" just tells you it's a statement, sort of like spoken punctuation (had it been a question marker it had said "desu-ka", pronunced ~"desska". "Wa" after a word tells you that word is the subject of the sentence. And "ni" is a locative, tells you there's a direction or position involved.

I'm sure someone one here knows this better than me though, you just need to wait.
    That's pretty much what I was going to say.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY

Me too, but with more edge

Spoiler: Show

9. Lounge   -   #9
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Afronaut
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul

Me too, but with more edge

U2