Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter...A new angle

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    There have been many what I would call silly attacks on the Harry Potter book series by "extreme" religious groups. Some have even had book burning events.

But a new approach has risen to try to get the books out of schools and school libraries here in the USA.

They are arguing that the books accurately depict witchcraft and wiccan religions and as both have been granted recognised religious status in the US (and are tax exempt) then the Harry Potter books should be banned because they promote religion.

Do you think this has any "meat" to it?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    In America, there's meat everywhere, money to make, opportunity.
    And Profits.

I dont think the author is into witchcraft/hellish-rituals, I dont think she has teh knowhow.
    I believe she makes things up as she writes. Like fantasy or so.
    Cant back that up with paperwork but I dont think some religion/hubbabubba/whatever
    should be too scared about it.
    But there's also some Cults about which could take stuff very seriously.

Been reading about $cientology a lot lately, very scary stuff.
    Have to "catch up" a little what other bigger Cults there is on about.

As In the late 1940s, pulp writer L. Ron Hubbard declared:

"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion"
    What if J.K. Rowling decides to make a "religion" out of Harry Potter?

Spoiler: Show

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    I think these bible humpers have to much time on there hands.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Did n't the new Pope have a sermon on the evils of Harry ? About the twisting of family morals ?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    There have been many what I would call silly attacks on the Harry Potter book series by "extreme" religious groups. Some have even had book burning events.

But a new approach has risen to try to get the books out of schools and school libraries here in the USA.

They are arguing that the books accurately depict witchcraft and wiccan religions and as both have been granted recognised religious status in the US (and are tax exempt) then the Harry Potter books should be banned because they promote religion.

Are you calling the Pope a member of an extreme religious group?
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    They are arguing that the books accurately depict witchcraft

If this is true, then they had better hurry with the rated R (or perhaps xxx) movie versions because I have a few spells I would like to learn.

I really hope we do not continue in this direction. The America I return to when I finally go back to the states is going to be a whole other country from the one I remember

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    Did n't the new Pope have a sermon on the evils of Harry ? About the twisting of family morals ?
    I think some author who has a bee in her bonnet about Harry Potter wrote to the Pope a few times about the books (and her book criticising the Potter books). He replied to her letters and I believe he told her she was right to highlight her concerns. It was her and not he that made the comments public and it is difficult to tell how in context they were (as I said, she has a bee in her bonnet).

Somehow, I don't think the Catholic Church is about to embark on a book burning escapade .

Vidcc, are US school libraries not allowed to stock any books at all dealing with religious themes? It seems to me that if that is the case then an awful lot of classic literature will get the heave ho ... or is this some madness that has not been thought through?
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Then the Pope is full of shit.

People make a big stink when something is making alot of money in a different medium than television.

They ignore television entirely.

Anyone seen The Worst Witch? What about the host of.........tons on TV depictions of witchcraft?
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Then the Pope is full of shit.

People make a big stink when something is making alot of money in a different medium than television.

They ignore television entirely.

Anyone seen The Worst Witch? What about the host of.........tons on TV depictions of witchcraft?

Fair point!

What about the new Bewitched movie?
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab

Are you calling the Pope a member of an extreme religious group?
    Yes.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast