Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Closing posts

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Let me start off by saying the mods do a wonderful thankless job. But was wondering about the closing of posts ,I know it can be a pain with new members posting the same thread . Guess my thought is can't we have a gentler or kinder way of doing it, so as not to discourage new people posting ? Mabye link their post to a common thread ?

Am I out of line here , or is there a new directive to point people to the news section ? Please close this thread and delete if I'm just being sensitive .

Rule # 2 Post in the correct forum. Take the time to look at the other threads, read forum descriptions and see where your thread should go. Also, read the FAQs and 'Sticky' threads. The Administrators or Moderators may move threads posted in the wrong areas.

Not close as they see fit ? Or I'm reading wrong , but was just asking a question . Love the way this place leaves you hanging if you choose not to agree, or have a diffrience of opinion . Oh well say la vee !
    Last edited by peat moss; 07-16-2005 at 03:05 AM.

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    Good idea

Although I would make one change:
    Instead of actually linking the post to another, keep the thread active, and post a link to a common thread inside the topic itself, so as to also "teach" the new member, and also to keep him/her from leaving the forum

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by tralalala
    Good idea

Instead of actually linking the post to another, keep the thread active, and post a link to a common thread inside the topic itself, so as to also "teach" the new member, and also to keep him/her from leaving the forum

Glad you agree , because I saw a post from a new member being discarded like old news yet it was newer than a senior members post . That just didn't seem right to me , but a mod might only see it one way ? Their too busy to reference all the posts or threads but you and I , with time on our hands see the mistake ? Just wondering , know it would have pissed me off.
    Last edited by peat moss; 07-16-2005 at 05:19 AM.

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    I think this makes good sence generally as we dont want to chase away n00bs as much as we like them. If I see a post that is already posted I will place a link and then close. Occasionally I will merge if it seems approrpriate to do so and send a pm to the member as to where thier post is. I guess if you have a certain post in mind or events and arent sure who to address regarding it you can always bring it up in the Report section also so all of the Team can see it...

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    Almost regretted posting ,I didn't mean to point out a certain mod or would have PM 'd her or him personally and certainly didn't mean to point fingers , just a quirk I saw . Was hoping to bring it to your attention and glad I did. Thank you ,was worried some would take it wrong and that was not my intention.
    Last edited by peat moss; 07-16-2005 at 05:47 AM.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #6
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Cross linkin' is cool. Problem is when there like 3 or more threads about one subject,
    confusion arises.

If there's new folks about, I usually send PM and tell what did I do with the thread(s) and why.

Also, there was/is a couple of topics about crackin/hackin when I came here today,
    moved the other to trash and closed the other.
    I left a message on the closed thread also, for other members to see.
    Did send both dudes a PM telling What "n" Why.
    Also did add the PM's to our Team Chat so other Mods see whats going on.

This is common workabout from Mods.
    Biznes as usual.

ps. about the cracks, like, is google broken or something?

Spoiler: Show

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #7
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tralalala
    Good idea

the whole idea of closing is to prevent duplicate posts, now mods can link the post to related thread but with the sucker search engine that we got it will take time to find a match. i belive mods only close duplicate posts of newly created thread which r visible(in same page) so i think it should be closed, now if the duplicate is made of very old post it shouldnt be closed, as i said our search function doesnt find them in some cases.

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #8
    Retired
    again: the search option works fine.

It's not that difficult to search before you start a new thread.

When the question is already answered in another thread I'll close the new thread. (with a link to the new thread or saying that they should use the search option)
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 07-16-2005 at 12:17 PM.

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #9
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    it works i never said it doesnt work, its just new people cant guess a proper keyword.

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by bawa@Klite_user
    it works i never said it doesnt work, its just new people cant guess a proper keyword.

I wouldn't say its guess work.

Let's see i want to know about Firefox. Do i enter the word Firefox or the word Chicken

I think im going to go with the word Chicken, hey nothing about Firefox here, this search sucks (lolololorolfoolol ha ha haOMGWTFZZ1).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast