Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fatwa Issued

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    A fatwa has been issued by Britain's largest Sunni Muslim group proclaiming the July 7 London transit bombings as the work of a "perverted ideology."

In issuing the binding religious edict, the Sunni Council said Sunday the bombings were anti-Islamic and that the Koran, Islam's holy book, forbade suicide attacks.

"Who has given anyone the right to kill others? It is a sin. Anyone who commits suicide will be sent to Hell,'' said Mufti Muhammad Gul Rehman Qadri, the council chairman.

"What happened in London can be seen as a sacrilege. It is a sin to take your life or the life of others.''

The fatwa also said Muslims could not use the "atrocities being committed in Palestine and Iraq" to justify acts like the transit bombings that killed 55 and wounded 700.
    taken from this as a source of the above to prevent a lot of typing.

I originally read about this in Daily Record 18th July 2005, which also states

Grand Mufti Muhammad Gul Rehman Qadri said: 'Anyone who commits suicide will be sent to Hell.

'It is the explicit saying of the Holy Prophet who ordered his followers to seek peace and harmony wherever they should live, not to cause death and destruction or to live counter to the laws of that host country.'

Last night, [Mohammed] Sarwar [a Glasgow MP] revealed the Fatwa had been passed unanimously by the 3000 imams at the meeting in Birmingham.

He said: 'I congratulate the imams for the leadership they have shown to the Islamic community.

'We have to open our young people's eyes to the fact that these extremists are acting against Islam, the very religion they falsely claim to proclaim.

'This is a strong statement that true believers will do everything we can to get rid of the extremists and terrorists in our midst.'

The Fatwa quoted verses from the Islamic holy book, the Koran, which forbid suicide and killing or hurting people.

The Fatwa said: 'The attacks in London have no Islamic justification, are totally condemned and we equally condemn those behind the masterminding of these act, those who incited these youths to further their perverted ideology.'

Grand Mufti Qadri added: 'We urge all Muslims and non- Muslims to bring the perpetrators of these crimes to justice.
    In my opinion this is exactly what the Muslim community needed to do. Show the rest of us that they are as horrified at these attrocities and attacks on them as we are. Show that these Murderers do not have a mandate from the Muslim community to commit murder on their behalf and show that they will stand beside those who fight terrorism.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Imo...a long time coming.

I am glad that it has finally happened but the dragging of feet still sits a little uncomfortably with me.

Having said that, as the Muslim religion explicitly rejects such acts of violence, it is a pity that they have even had to do this at all.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    A good public relations action and I believe that they do indeed condemn the actions of the bombers.
    It does make me wonder though if it will do any good. Those that are ignorant enough to put all Muslims in with the fanatics that carry out such acts will always have prejudice against Muslims.
    I have seen it here in the US where there are calls for Muslims to do similar things. But should one Muslim have to apologise or shout louder for the actions of others with whom the ONLY connection is they are of the same religious faith?

I haven't yet seen the calls for Christians to condemn or apologise for the actions of Eric Rudolph. In fact he will not get the death sentence because the prosecutor believes that his actions would be viewed sympathetically.

Good on this Muslim group for their stance, but let's see it across the board. Terrorism in all forms is evil and inexcusable.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    I agree, a long time coming. I would go as far as to say overdue.

However I am trying to look on the positive aspects of this. Look to the future and so forth.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    not knowing anything about Islam, i don't understand why it's taken so long for this fatwa to be issued considering extremists have been commiting murder in the name of Islam for so long
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Possibly because it coincides with the Chatham House (The Royal Institute of International Affairs) report that shows how bad our current foreign policy is?
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 07-18-2005 at 07:24 PM.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    A good public relations action and I believe that they do indeed condemn the actions of the bombers.
    It does make me wonder though if it will do any good. Those that are ignorant enough to put all Muslims in with the fanatics that carry out such acts will always have prejudice against Muslims.
    I have seen it here in the US where there are calls for Muslims to do similar things. But should one Muslim have to apologise or shout louder for the actions of others with whom the ONLY connection is they are of the same religious faith?

I haven't yet seen the calls for Christians to condemn or apologise for the actions of Eric Rudolph. In fact he will not get the death sentence because the prosecutor believes that his actions would be viewed sympathetically.

Good on this Muslim group for their stance, but let's see it across the board. Terrorism in all forms is evil and inexcusable.
    I know where you are coming from and it makes sense. However it is good to see the Muslim leaders in the UK clarifying this to their faithful. I think (hope) that this will do more good than anything else. If, as I believe the Muslim people take their faith seriously, then this is a clear and unequivocal message to those who may have any doubt in their mind.

I think that's what they were doing, telling their own people and the rest of the World that this is not comensurate with their faith. Therefore anyone who claims it is cannot be a true Muslim. Making it more difficult for these murderers to hide behind their lies.

Which means that it is nothing to do with jihad and everything to do with politics and power. We already knew that, but there is now a definitive message to the Muslims and everyone else in the UK.

I'm not really fussed if it is a PR exercise, if it does some good then that will satisfy me.
    Last edited by JPaul; 07-18-2005 at 06:30 PM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    The problem here is that the imams making the Fatwa are the moderate ones, not those calling for the killings. Police in London regularly guard extremist clerics spouting hate, and calling for revenge attacks. l read today that new laws have been passed in Britain making this sort of thing illegal, about time.
    "First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win."

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    But we have invited someone else banz0red from many countries for terrorist links to come and give a talk at some Muslim conference on Friday.

Go England

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    But we have invited someone else banz0red from many countries for terrorist links to come and give a talk at some Muslim conference on Friday.

Go England
    If thats the one The Sun was commenting upon last week... maybe you should read up on him.

The Sun, as usual, was talking pish.

It stated he was banned in France and the USA.. his offices are in Paris and he's a moderate.

If the US has banned him, they've neglected to tell him so, although he hasnt tried to enter that country for a few month

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast