Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Got One Of Those E Mails

BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    I’m not sure if I’m posting this in the right section. Today I got one of those e mails from my ISP about copyrighted material.
    Dear Customer,

We are writing on behalf of Cox Communications to advise you that we have received a notification that you are using your Cox High Speed Internet service to post or transmit material that infringes the copyrights of a complainant's members. We have included a copy of the complaint letter. Pursuant to the provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA"), which is codified at 17 U.S.C. § 512, upon receiving such notification, Cox is required to "act expeditiously to remove, or disable access to" the infringing material in order to avoid liability for any alleged copyright infringement. Accordingly, Cox will suspend your account and disable your connection to the Internet within 24 hours of your receipt of this email if the offending material is not removed.

Please be aware that the DMCA also provides procedures by which a subscriber accused of copyright violation can respond to the allegations of infringement and, under certain circumstances, cause his or her account to be reinstated. To do so, however, the response must meet certain criteria. Pursuant to section (g) of the DMCA (17 U.S.C. § 512(g)), you have the right to submit to Cox a counter-notification which, to be effective, must include the following elements:

(a) a physical or electronic signature of the subscriber;
    (b) identification of the material that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or disabled;
    (c) a statement under penalty of perjury that the subscriber has a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled;
    (d) the subscriber's name, address, and telephone number and a statement that the subscriber consents to the jurisdiction of the Federal District Court for the judicial district in which the address is located.

In the event that you submit to Cox a counter-notification that includes these elements, Cox will forward your counter notification to the complainant and advise them that Cox will cease disabling access to the allegedly infringing material in ten (10) business days. Unless the complainant notifies us that it has filed an action seeking a court order to restrain you from engaging in the allegedly infringing activity prior to the expiration of those ten (10) business days, Cox will reactivate your account.
    What should I do? Any help would be appreciated

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Stop sharing the material they caught you on.

Change your habits a bit, maybe change the netwotk you downloading from,
    atleast for awhile. I'd check newsgroups.

Other way to go is show them teh finger and look for another ISP.

Infact, look for another ISP for "just incase".

Spoiler: Show

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    That’s the thing how do I go about finding out what the violation is?

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Just change ISP. It's the best choice all around.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    It depends what country your own,
    laws are different you know...

You should try to get contact with other ppl in same country
    who had same kind of letter and see what was going on.

Oh yeah, you could eMail the ISP and ask "wtf?"

(Remember to save all documents/mails.)
    Last edited by Afronaut; 07-18-2005 at 11:07 PM.
    Spoiler: Show

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBank_Hank
    That’s the thing how do I go about finding out what the violation is?
    We have included a copy of the complaint letter.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    I called up my ISP and talked to them and tried to find out exactly what file I had downloaded that caused the violation. They will not be shutting my connection down tomorrow its just a “reminder” letter sent out that if I continue to do it they will shut me down. I asked him well what file did I download that violated the copyright and he told me that there was no way to tell, that there was no official ticket on my account so there was no way for him to tell. This message is just to let me know that they know I’m broadcasting and I need to cut it out.

He basically told me that I could download material but I couldn’t share. Apparently that’s what he does because he told me that he himself downloads material but only to a certain extent.

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BigBank_Hank
    he himself downloads material but only to a certain extent.
    Haha But yeah change ISP, Cox seems to be the #1 ISP against P2P .

Oh, and were you using Peerguardian2?

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    As far as ISP goes they are not very strict and just doing what they have to. The fact is Ive heard far worse regarding companys like Comcast who choose not to even shield their customers with a letter and just turn over your info to whomever asks. If I recall your ISP has a 3 strike policy like many american ISP have that after 3 warnings your gone as the simple fact is your more trouble than your worth. I truly suggest you take a look at Newsgroups as they have a very good Usenet service if I recall and it will be well worth your time to research it not to memtion most of what youll need is my guide to get you started at...
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=69159
    Last edited by RealitY; 07-19-2005 at 03:09 AM.

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #10
    maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    i havent gotten an email from 3web. maybe you could change to Comcast. If it's in your area?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast