Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer does not power

Regular Member BT Rep: +5
    Hello FST. I have come across a problem with my computer. i switched the pc on yesterday and the pc would not power. after checking the psw which had some voltage shorts i replaced the psw with a new one.
    i then tried to power the pc but still didnt turn on.
    i then checked for shorts on the motherboard and some capacitors had some short voltages, i then resoldered the capacitors and voltages were OK. but still i have no power.
    i am guessing the motherboard has been flashed rendering it useless. does this mean the memory may have become corrupted, and that also be useless.
    does this also mean that i may have lost data from my hdd?
    the specs for this pc are as follows:
    amd xp 2000+
    artic coolmaster heatsink/fan
    SOLTEK SL75-DRV... motherboard
    256 ddr ram pc2100
    ibm 60 gb hdd
    soltek

thanks in advance people

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by chinook_apache
    i then checked for shorts on the motherboard and some capacitors had some short voltages, i then resoldered the capacitors and voltages were OK. but still i have no power.
    You really did this?
    If so, you have already spent more time on this board than Soltek did.

Try POSTing the board with only CPU, RAM and video connected.
    Then it's just a process of elimination to see what has failed.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    [QUOTE=clocker]
    Quote Originally Posted by chinook_apache
    You really did this?

yup i did that like i said it made the voltages ok in the capacitors. what do you mean by POSTing... i remeber this term but i have forgot, is it power on self test ???

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Yes.
    Basically, you want to get rid of anything not needed to get into BIOS (i.e. HDD, CD-RW, etc.).
    This will require that you have spare/replacement parts to substitute, however.

It might be simpler if you just try your RAM/video card/CPU in another PC...if they work then you're down to the motherboard.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    ok thanks, how does the POST test work, what do you have to do...and what results can you expect if the POST is successful?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    If the POST is successful then you see the initial startup screen with bios access.

If it attempts to POST buit gives a sequence of beeps you may be able to work out what's wrong from the beeps.

Edit: you don't have to "do" anything except power on, that's why it is called a power on self test.
    Last edited by lynx; 07-19-2005 at 12:04 PM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    aha! thanks lynx will carry out the test and let you guys know.
    thanks again lynx and clocker.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    hey, i am back, i have conducted the POST test and nothing,i pressed the power switch and the computer does not turn on. just for verification i have checked the power switch and that is working fine.
    does anyone know what i should now...new motherboard?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    First thing to do is check the PSU. If no fans are turning there may be a problem with it, even if you've replaced it. I'm at work atm so I don't have time to find a link to show how to test it, maybe you can search for that or someone else could post a link.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    To test the PSU (like Lynx suggested), first unplug the psu from your computer and take it out of the case.
    Next you need to plug the PSU into the wall and then short the green wire on your 20pin ATX connector (the set of wires that plug into your motherboard, has 20 wires total, you won't miss it) to a ground wire, not sure if it matters which but the one right next to it to the left side is one I know works.
    Here is a picture taken from this guide which might also help you, altho you don't need to follow all of the steps shown in that guide.

edit: a peice of wire with both ends stripped to expose some wire would work for this, don't bother cutting the wires.
    What will happen is the PSU fan(s) will start to spin, showing that the powersupply is on.
    If the fan doesn't spin then something is wrong with the psu.
    Last edited by tesco; 07-19-2005 at 06:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast