Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 24mbs in the UK from Be

GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    we can only get 2mb where i live. still only 256k upload

2. News (Archive)   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    This is currently being trialled in the UK by Easynet, AFAIK Be will simply be one of the ISP's which will purchase wholesale broadband access from Easynet, along with others such as Freedom2surf. The rollout is going to be quite slow though, since the rate of LLU is being unfairly held back by BT.

Freedom2surf is committed to providing 8mbps nationwide by the end of this year (depending on the distance from the exchange). Max upload speed with standard ADSL is 832kbps, but I'm not sure if that's what they will be offering.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. News (Archive)   -   #13
    Hiya - newbie here...

Moved from the UK to Amsterdam in June - had enjoyed 2 meg from AOL (btw, never any bother, good speeds and stability - but I was based in Central London)... ok, now you've stopped laughing at the fact I was with AOL, check this out...

Went for www.versatel.nl cos of their 20 meg offer. Check this for a litany of errors:

>>> bear in mind all communication via phone is at 0.25c a minute, they keep you holding for 20 mins easily, in the main you hang up and its cost you 5 EUR a time.

1> call, at my expense, and apply for 20 meg
    2> confirmation letter arrives - they've got telephone number wrong
    3> I can onyl resolve this by cancelling the application and reapplying
    4> I reapply.
    5> no letter arrives - 3/4 calls, no answer
    6> Call back to versatel (now CURSEatel), they say letter will go out soon, in the meantime I should arrange for engineer to come and install digi-modem thing
    7> Arrange for engineer - again, my expense - problems getting them to understand that my original order was cancelled (you'd think this happened loads)
    8> Still no letter - call back, they say no probs, all looks good
    9> Stay in Monday evening last week, engineer does not arrive - good luck to him, he can charge 40EUR if I'm not in, but if he does not turn up, its tough???

>>> I call Versatel engineer install line.... they say ITS NOT THEIR FAULT!!! and they're gonna fax the engineers and get them to call me.

NO callback, check versatel emails online and they say he will arrive Tuesday am.

10> stay in Tues, no arrival
    11> I email them again, no response 3 days - I decide to cancel
    12> They email back within 24 hours to say I need to WRITE IN to cancel
    13> Sent letter last Monday, registered post. This was received Tuesday.
    14> 2 emails to them since - they claim to get back within 24 hours.

>>> They enabled ADSL last week and even charged 40 EUR for it!!
    >>> Email from them says I have to pay until they confirm the situation as installation and service provision are two separate issues
    >>> I used my router to check the line, all handshakes no problem - VCI set ok, did a speed check: 8 meg down, 900k up (not too bad).

>>> So, everyone tells me 20 Meg is not what I get, but the MAX available download if all connections between me and the final backbone connection are at full whack.

>>> I've now got an ADSL connection I can't use (I don't know the PPPoE settings for my account) which I don't want because of Versatel's nightmare service, and I can't switch to someone stable like XS4ALL until Versatel confirm they are stopping my ADSL service.

Anyone else had issues like this?

Sorry - not necessarily 100% on topic, just wondering if UK 20meg+ providers will treat their customers like this.

4. News (Archive)   -   #14
    Hiya - newbie here...

Moved from the UK to Amsterdam in June - had enjoyed 2 meg from AOL (btw, never any bother, good speeds and stability - but I was based in Central London)... ok, now you've stopped laughing at the fact I was with AOL, check this out...

Went for www.versatel.nl cos of their 20 meg offer. Check this for a litany of errors:

>>> bear in mind all communication via phone is at 0.25c a minute, they keep you holding for 20 mins easily, in the main you hang up and its cost you 5 EUR a time.

1> call, at my expense, and apply for 20 meg
    2> confirmation letter arrives - they've got telephone number wrong
    3> I can onyl resolve this by cancelling the application and reapplying
    4> I reapply.
    5> no letter arrives - 3/4 calls, no answer
    6> Call back to versatel (now CURSEatel), they say letter will go out soon, in the meantime I should arrange for engineer to come and install digi-modem thing
    7> Arrange for engineer - again, my expense - problems getting them to understand that my original order was cancelled (you'd think this happened loads)
    8> Still no letter - call back, they say no probs, all looks good
    9> Stay in Monday evening last week, engineer does not arrive - good luck to him, he can charge 40EUR if I'm not in, but if he does not turn up, its tough???

>>> I call Versatel engineer install line.... they say ITS NOT THEIR FAULT!!! and they're gonna fax the engineers and get them to call me.

NO callback, check versatel emails online and they say he will arrive Tuesday am.

10> stay in Tues, no arrival
    11> I email them again, no response 3 days - I decide to cancel
    12> They email back within 24 hours to say I need to WRITE IN to cancel
    13> Sent letter last Monday, registered post. This was received Tuesday.
    14> 2 emails to them since - they claim to get back within 24 hours.

>>> They enabled ADSL last week and even charged 40 EUR for it!!
    >>> Email from them says I have to pay until they confirm the situation as installation and service provision are two separate issues
    >>> I used my router to check the line, all handshakes no problem - VCI set ok, did a speed check: 8 meg down, 900k up (not too bad).

>>> So, everyone tells me 20 Meg is not what I get, but the MAX available download if all connections between me and the final backbone connection are at full whack.

>>> I've now got an ADSL connection I can't use (I don't know the PPPoE settings for my account - plus I don't know if theres some special protocol or handshake involved as they claim they need to install a decoder thing for football streams) which I don't want because of Versatel's nightmare service, and I can't switch to someone stable like XS4ALL until Versatel confirm they are stopping my ADSL service.

Anyone else had issues like this?

Sorry - not necessarily 100% on topic, just wondering if UK 20meg+ providers will treat their customers like this.

5. News (Archive)   -   #15
    All NTL customers will be upgraded to 10MB in the coming months, instea dof having a 1mb, 2mb and 3mb service you will all have 10mb but pay for what different cap you have. Im gonna pay for the 10mb and unlimited cap and just leech the fuck out of everyhing

See if i can do 1TB in a month

6. News (Archive)   -   #16
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    i read the cap for 10mb will max at 75GB
    http://www.adslguide.org/newsarchive.asp?item=2332

and id doubt they would offer 10mb unlimited, cos that would cost you a fortune
    <insert signature here>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12