Thread: disconnected

Hi all,
    I have recently been disconnected from using broad band by my service provider for using a file sharing program.
    They sent me a letter with a form to sign reasuring them i had taken all shared documents off my pc and any file sharing programs, before they would connect me again.
    Has this happened to anyone else? is there a solution to it? if i am to use file sharing programs again what are the current problems by doing so?
    Thanks
    skylark

2. Lounge   -   #2
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by skylark
    Hi all,
    I have recently been disconnected from using broad band by my service provider for using a file sharing program.
    They sent me a letter with a form to sign reasuring them i had taken all shared documents off my pc and any file sharing programs, before they would connect me again.
    Has this happened to anyone else? is there a solution to it? if i am to use file sharing programs again what are the current problems by doing so?
    Thanks
    skylark
    I have never heard of such a thing! When did this start happening?

Peace bd
    Last edited by brotherdoobie; 07-22-2005 at 06:15 AM.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    The best thing to do is change to another internet service provider.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    1. Dont sing anything! Do not admit anything. Ask for proof if they go on about it.

2. Eventually, tell 'em to fook off!

3. And change teh ISP.

Spoiler: Show

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Thanks for the replys guys,
    Ok, firstly, I cannot change to another service provider. I live in Hull, and do not have options because its Kingston communtication or Kingston communication, and thats it.
    They sent me proof, they knew what was been uploaded, and what file sharing program i was using. They told me that they would not connect me again until i had signed.
    I spoke with someone the night before I was disconeted, and they told me it is happening alot, and that it will only be for so long that you will be able to carry on sharing They also told me about a program called DC++ and that it was the best program to use against this problem. The first thing i thought why this had happened was that the night before I had put in a general search for DC++ and that this had attracted attention to what i was doing, but I think that it was just coincidence.
    Anyway thats it basically, any one else with similar experience? or knowledge?
    skylark

6. Lounge   -   #6
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I find it hard to believe that in a big city like Hull there is a monopoly on broadband.

Use peerguardian, if you're worried. DC++ is no safer than most others but BitTorrent is the most risky.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Seems like you're right tho'. Gutted.

For some reason broadband legislation applies everywhere except Hull

Edit: I see the reason now, it seems most unfair. You could try satellite broadband tho'.
    Last edited by manker; 07-22-2005 at 09:41 AM.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

8. Lounge   -   #8
    What do you mean by broadband legislation, and how it applies?

9. Lounge   -   #9
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Well, there is an official Broadband Charter in the UK. When it's referred to on t'interweb it specifically states except Hull.

From what I can gather, it seems that BT doesn't operate in your area because of a special licence issued to Kingston Communications by the govt in 1987. SInce they don't allow other broadband companies to use their lines (one presumes), they're operating what is tantamount to a monopoly.

The only way around it, at the moment, is to use satellite broadband.