Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doing a fresh Reformat any tips?

My computer has been terribly infected I have used over 20 different apps to remove them and nothing works. So it leaves me with no choice to to a reformat it needs one anyways. I already backed up everythinng and was wandering if you guys got any thing I should do after a reformat to remove all the crap it's going to contain from my Dvd reformat CD My computer is HP.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Other than havin back ups no, but a slipstreamed xp cd is handy to have .I would just make sure of your drivers but you can find on the net if need be. Oh one thing make sure you install all your antivirus and spyware etc; before going on the net to get your winupdates. Happy formatting .

You know I was just thinking it takes hours sometimes to get your computer settings back to how you had them . I like this site for tips you use the menu on the right to browse ,you might find something useful ?

Link : http://www.tweakxp.com/
    Last edited by peat moss; 07-22-2005 at 11:35 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Goes Rawr!
    Don't use the queer CD/DVD Recovery Disk that was included with your HP. Install a
    Other than havin back ups no, but a slipstreamed xp cd is handy to have .
    CD to reformat..

After doing that , don't connect to the net yet. Install a
    1. Anti-Virus
    2. Firewall
    3. Anti-Spyware(Reliable)
    4. Anti-RIAA Prog(Peerguardian/Protwall)

I think i remember seeing an excellent guide to for an after-reformat to do.

I think someone in this board made the guide.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by imasoldier
    My computer has been terribly infected
    no its not.

have you tried what I posted in your other thread? that should work. if not. go in safe mode and the problem is solved.
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 07-23-2005 at 12:10 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by {I}{K}{E}
    My computer has been terribly infected
    no its not.

have you tried what I posted in your other thread? that should work. if not. go in safe mode and the problem is solved.

Good point IKE , just read the thread .

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    Since we are talking about an HP and the OS installed within the recovery partition, then odds are likely we are also talking XP Home version.

If this is the case and you are looking to simply obtain a version of XP without the extra "bloat" that usually comes standard with factory-installed software in PC's, then I would suggest using/obtaining the full retail version of XP Home via a P2P application. Preferrably, of course, with SP2 slipstreamed into it. The XP OEM identification/activation key used for your system should be stamped onto your tower's case somewhere. You could still use that I would imagine and still keep things looking and running fairly "legal".
    Last edited by Izagaia; 07-23-2005 at 12:41 AM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    @Izagaia define fairly legal . It is a pain to format when you don't have to. You IKE , and I would not have a problem but its still time consuming when you would rather just search the net and play on the computer. Mabye imasoldier, could save his, her the pain with a little more info ?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Well I just reformatted my computer and I updated everything. All anti virus and firewall up. I uninstalled all the junk that came with the Cd using Crap Cleaner. Everything seems fine now. I didn't feal like downloading a Xp from p2p would take to long and I don't have the patience.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Well I just reformatted my computer and I updated everything. All anti virus and firewall up. I uninstalled all the junk that came with the Cd using Crap Cleaner. Everything seems fine now. I didn't feal like downloading a Xp from p2p would take to long and I don't have the patience.

Oh good ya the d/l is long but as long as you have all the sp2 updates you should be fine . Keep us posted to as any problems you may find . Good luck .
    Last edited by peat moss; 07-23-2005 at 03:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast