Thread: File deleting problems?

Sometimes, when you try to delete a file a dialog box appears telling you that the file is either in use or you don't have enough space etc and generaly the access is denided.
    Usually this happens when the file is in use, so all you have to do is just press ctrl-alt-del and stop the file from running. However, even then the file seems to
    do the same problem. (it could be any file including a virus, spyware/adware etc)
    In case either your Anti-virus programs nor your Anti-spyware programs do nothing you will have to delete it manually. (as long as you know what file to delete)
    In order to get read the certain file try the following steps.

(i) Restart your pc and run the windows in safe mode. Then try to delete the program. (You could now give to your security programs one more chance )

(ii)If the preview didn't work then try first to disable it from working--> right click on the file and then click properties and finally disable the active attribute. Then try to delete it. (all these while you are on the safe mode)

(iii) If none of the above steps didn't worked then perform the step (ii) and go to the prompt command(MS-DOS) and find the program using its DOS name. (you can ind this in the properties of the file) Rename the file with the command---> RENAME ###.exe to whatever you want. Then type in the command---> ERASE and the name you renamed the file erlier.

This should do the trick. Is still possible though not to work.
    If this doesn't work i would format my pc if i were you. or you can just let it hunging there!

NOTE: Some spyware programs can be unistalled from the ad/remove programs so pay a visit there quiet often

If anybody knows anything ealse that could be done in such cases POST it here please.
    Last edited by Delorean; 07-23-2005 at 06:34 AM. Reason: IS THE SAME AS THE PREVIEW JUST IGNORE IT

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Code:
    http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
    Helps delete locked files with error messages like:

Cannot delete file: Access is denied
    There has been a sharing violation.
    The source or destination file may be in use.
    The file is in use by another program or user.
    Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Nice page!! thx i think is much easier!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    good find, thanks zapjb

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Share Guy's Avatar Member
    install system mechanic http://www.iolo.com