Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why all ed2k link look like this ....

Hi there

I was trying to search the site and i see that all ed2k link u can't check on them u have to copy the link in the IE and then add them in Emule ... i'am a user at anther eD2k Site and they have somethign Diffrents here is a Screenshot ..

Example Thread i'am talking about
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t99113.html

maybe u can do the same in the Screenshot .. just Seggestion iti is really hard and time to keep copy the link ...

Last edited by skylove; 07-24-2005 at 05:06 AM.

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    I'll move this to the ERTB section and some of our hackers can answer it.

I dont posess the required skillz, yo.

Spoiler: Show

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    These hashes were posted without using the Submit ED2K Hash. Ive already sent a pm to the member whos posted the one your referring to along with others in the same way. You can see the difference in using the script and not which can be seen HERE. Of course its great to have a new user making contributions although there is a learning phase for us all. If you look around the site youll see post that look like THIS also.

If you find that the copy and paste dosent work for those links its due to the fact that when long strings of text are posted on vb forums without any special formatting that there is a character limit and a space is inserted along the way. So along the way "abty42" becomes "abt y42" when posted. However if you paste the link in your browser and remove the space prior to clicking enter the hash will act as it was supposed to.

The script on the forum was created to make posting hashes simpler, create a nice layout and avoid issues such as these. When I noticed some of these posts earlier I decided to also look into finding a way to hack the character limit as well in case situations like these appear again...
    Last edited by lynx; 07-24-2005 at 11:16 PM. Reason: drr=see

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    While talking with rossco we decided to make it so than ANY new posts being make in the Verified sections will have to use the script form now on. I think this is best and will avoid any future confusion...

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Quote Originally Posted by RealitY
    While talking with rossco we decided to make it so than ANY new posts being make in the Verified sections will have to use the script form now on. I think this is best and will avoid any future confusion...
    Which finally explains why my ed2k linking guide was set adrift from its pin and the technique I so painstakingly demonstrated no longer works outside of the verifieds section too.

Thanks for letting me know guys.

btw, do you realize that my guide is the number 1 result when you search Google for "ed2k hash linking"? and a search for "ed2k linking" returns the guide as result number 4?

I thought Google hits were supposed to be paramount. Breaking the technique makes me and the forum look like we don't know what we're doing.
    So yeah... well done.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #6
    Wasnt intened to offend. There has just been numerous post that havent used your guide or similar nor the script. This is confusing for those accessing the hashes as they are not only inconvenient but non functional due to the spacing. Its also become a bit confusing form our stand point to either constantly mod the area and or alter the posts.

It was decided based on those factors and the fact that the script is bug free that we know of for ed2k hashes and that it would be best to simply make posting within the sections use the script by default. If you look at recent posts you will see they now all look as they should and how they will need to be to attract more members to the site. Its just simply the best solution considering all factors...
    Last edited by RealitY; 07-27-2005 at 08:22 AM.

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #7
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Wasnt intened to offend.
    I was only offended by the fact that my guide was cut loose without any notice to me from the team - either before or after the fact.

I took the trouble to write that guide to fulfil a request by yourself. Is it too much to expect a heads up via PM when forum policy is to be changed so maybe I can alter the guide to reflect that policy?
    There has just been numerous post that havent used your guide or similar nor the script. This is confusing for those accessing the hashes as they are not only inconvenient but non functional due to the spacing. Its also become a bit confusing form our stand point to either constantly mod the area and or alter the posts.
    Thats the fault of lazy people, not because of the guide or rossco's script.
    I can appreciate that not everyone takes the time to read the pinned guides, but saying there have been "numerous posts" that didn't use guide or script hardly justifies cutting said guide loose. There have been many that have used it too. I've gotten PMs thanking me for making filesharing easy.

Just a simple link to rossco's verifieds form and/or my guide will soon fix people posting broken links. Doesn't even have to be a mod doing it. Any ordinary member can post the link(s) with a request for the original poster to edit their malformed ed2k link accordingly. I have no problem sparing the occasional hour to check links...
    It was decided based on those factors and the fact that the script is bug free that we know of for ed2k hashes and that it would be best to simply make posting within the sections use the script by default. If you look at recent posts you will see they now all look as they should and how they will need to be to attract more members to the site. Its just simply the best solution considering all factors...
    Your logic is flawed. Take a look at the amount of page views the guide has compared to every other guide in the same section. More than double, and in the months it's been on the forum not one person has needed to ask any questions once they've read it. That's a crystal clear indication that the guide is also bug free.

...and on top of that, the fact remains that the guide is still bringing in Google traffic. Which is what Rookie wants - Google Adsense revenue.

So. We're left with two possibilities:

1. Re-enable normal hash linking outside of the verifieds section (at least) so we don't look like a bunch of wallys to the people coming here via Google's links to the guide.

2. Delete the guide and lose the Google traffic it brings to the forum.

It's up to you. But I'd ask Rookie first before you take money out of his pocket though...

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #8
    I seem to recall having a conversation with you just after we added the script in which you stated you guessed your guide would be deemed useless due to the ease of the script so I wouldve thought based on that you would be expecting something along these lines as times change. Of course we appreciate the effort but its just the way it is now.

Youve taken this to harshly and seems your being a silly about it. Ive had guides on this forum prior to being a mod and they were removed at times without notice based on when it was deemed they should be. I had no clue you intended to get this worked up about it. There is much time others the Team and myself spend also that at times that is scraped. Fact is dont contribute if you intend to get this upset nor did I think you would as Im quite surprised at all this.

I dont think you know whats occurred within the Verifieds as you dont post within the section much that I know of. Im not even sure youve ever even used the script and have managed an argument here without the knowledge of the most important factor. All sites I know that have Verifieds use links not paste which is what was being left in posts which addition are not even function due to the spaces.

Simply calling new members lazy is not the point as most may not have the time to go to the effort to create links in the previous way as shown in your guide and may just simply find it complicated or time consuming. With the script all these problems are simplified and just easier on everyone. This is why it has been decided to make posting in the sections go directly to the script, This is best for the site, those who post, and those who use the hashes also.

What remains even more ridiculous is your guide is still there although a couple of slots below. If it cant be seen its due to the visibility of the section due to age default. Ive already looked into how that section could have a longer default so that your guide will show to all including new visitors if its needed which may cure your frustrations...

I just noticed this has already been done.
    Last edited by RealitY; 07-27-2005 at 05:45 PM.

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #9
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I don't believe this.

RealitY - you unpinned the bloke's guide which he took time and trouble to put together, a simple heads up of your intentions is a pre-requisite I'd have thought. If you fail to do that then say sorry. How blindingly obvious is that.

Instead you've attacked him about his knowledge of the subject and called him 'silly' and 'ridiculous'.

Now, in the last month you've pissed off members on three occasions, that I can think of, to the point where they've posted at length in this section and complained specifically about you. No other mod, just you.

Either you're getting victimised my mean spirited members or you're really getting on people's nerves by making particularly poor judgement calls. Which is it, I wonder.

Sort it out.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #10
    As I stated I had already discussed this with him and the post is still there also. Ive never know anyone to get a pm prior to a pin being unpinned althouguh for the future I guess we should. If the Team was suppoise to some still owe me appoligies also that I coulve taken the same offense to as well as others Im sure. I have also pm him regarding this and future matters to avoid any more situations of the like.

If Ive offended him I do appoligize as it was hardly my intention and as I already stated it wasnt intended to offend. I do think its been over reacted to especially considering the post has moved only a few slots down and is still clearly visable to Google and Guests also. If you have your views changed in your cp though for a shorter period however it may not be which is where the confusion may be...
    Last edited by RealitY; 07-27-2005 at 06:13 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast