Page 1 of 26 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: death sentence in the uk?

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    For the sake of argument UK citizens carry out these bomb attacks out of sympathy for groups such as AQ. or just because they disagree with the war.

Should this be classed as treason and should the death penalty be returned for such crimes or should a more inventive punishment be applied (please supply).

I believe assuming they survive they should be executed. The downside is that this does of course make them martyrs .

I don't see it as a deterrent but purely punishment.

I realise that there are circumstances that would prevent it in reality but for the sake of the thread those can be overcome

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    i agree with deportation, not execution.

maybe make them sit and listen to what all the other muslims say about them first. i'd feel pretty disgusted at myself if i'd tried this in the name of islam and every muslim i saw called me a n00b and told me i suck at being a muslim. like what they're doing now.

also simply deporting them takes away they're martyrdom and leaves them free to be spat on for the rest of their lives

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    i agree with deportation, not execution.

maybe make them sit and listen to what all the other muslims say about them first. i'd feel pretty disgusted at myself if i'd tried this in the name of islam and every muslim i saw called me a n00b and told me i suck at being a muslim. like what they're doing now.

also simply deporting them takes away they're martyrdom and leaves them free to be spat on for the rest of their lives
    That is fine for citizens that are immigrants but how and where to do you deport someone born in the country?
    Last edited by vidcc; 07-24-2005 at 03:59 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    the sea

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    if we were to introduce the death sentence to kill these guys we'd just piss more people off and aggrivate the problem

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Find an uninhabited (and uninhabitable) island and air-drop them in.

If all's right between them and Allah, he can do what he will for/to them, and they'll be glad for it.

Right?
    i hope you're not suggesting allah is on your side

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I doubt if the death penalty would have any relevance. As I recall, one of the captured bombers in Indonesia demanded the death penalty so he could have his martyrdom.

The difficulty is these people really believe this mad stuff.

We want the backing of every pro-British Muslim in the land. A calm and balanced approach is what we need. If we catch them, convict them and jail them and forget about them.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    if we were to introduce the death sentence to kill these guys we'd just piss more people off and aggrivate the problem
    I think just the capture and jailing would achieve this. There have been many "terror attacks" done in conjunction with demanding the release of prisoners.
    Would prison not have the same thing as was seen with the IRA where they wanted "political prisoner" status ?

@ biggles

The relevance to me is punishment and revenge pure and simple to make us feel better.
    Last edited by vidcc; 07-24-2005 at 04:34 PM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    punishment and revenge?

for a start i don't believe revenge can possibly do anything but make the situation worse.

i believe there'll be enough punishment in prison for them too. the main thing is that they can't co-ordinate any terrorism from in their cell.

what's political prisoner status?

and again, i believe execution would increase the risk and gain sympathy for terrorists

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    @ gepper

I do understand your reasoning and it is valid.

Punishment is revenge in itself but I was using it in a broader sense of "you try to kill us we will kill you"

History has shown that imprisonment alone is used as a reason to attack so I say what the hell lets execute them.

This may give you some idea about "political prisoner"

Page 1 of 26 123411 ... LastLast