Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to maintain a good ratio if no one is downloading off me?

Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired

Unsure

How am I supposed to maintain a good share ratio if no one is downloading off me? I can't seed it forever, I turn my computer off at night. And even if I do seed it for a long time, my upload speed (which is without limit) is usually no more than 3kb/sec, simply because no one is downloading it.

My ratio is horrible, and I'm probibly going to get banned. No matter how long I seed it, the upload speed never picks up. What am I supposed to do?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    at whatever torrent sites you use look for the new worst seeded files. fresh ones with one seed are often good because the busiest time for them is still to come and you'll probably have a 1:1 ratio even during DL because the whole swarm will be going roughly the same speed (whatever speed the seed can upload at)

this sometimes has the added advantage of discovering artists you've never heard of and wouldn't have DLed before

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    yeh, if you just want to get your ratio back jump on a new torrent and upload at full speed for a while until it's back to what you want it to be. larger files are better for getting ratio back up i have found.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    and is it really necessary for you to turn your computer off at night ?

I keep mine running 24hrs a day unless the power goes off, or something I install needs a reboot

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    @Rip The Jacker

You don't need to upload as much as you d/l on one torrent, just make up the balance on another torrent that has plenty of leeches on it.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip The Jacker
    What am I supposed to do?
    Try different torrents.

It’s all about the seeds/leechers ..

If you are one of a hundred seeds, and there are only a couple leeches, you can’t expect to upload much to them couple of leechers on taht torrent.

Why don’t you try uploadind a DVD or something, maybe leave your pc running 24/7 if that is possible too.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    I'm Back Everyone :) BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    mabey there is 1 or 2 leechers...

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Also, a good way is to download several files and seed them, that way if one drops off for a while there is another one that can pick up the slot.

I also leave mine on 24/7 even if not actually downloading anything myself, it helps to keep the ratio up.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara
    Also, a good way is to download several files and seed them, that way if one drops off for a while there is another one that can pick up the slot.

I also leave mine on 24/7 even if not actually downloading anything myself, it helps to keep the ratio up.
    Likewise.

I've only got one BT upload atm (been using emule and all the other's have dropped off the trackers) and sometimes that drops to zero. At other times (like now) it really zips along, 30KB/s upload and only one connection. If this guy keeps going I could easily upload a gig to him tonight.

A lot of people have unlimited bandwidth overnight, so that's when they do their downloads. You could be missing out on the best upload times.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Also, if you use Azureus..you can set it to "Force Seed"...this will Force you to seed when file is completed & wont drop you off....also, Burst is a great program for Seeding too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast