Your Ad Here Your Ad Here

Thread: shutdown problem

whenever i shutdown the computer it says windows is shutting down, then i see the light on the mouse turn off but the computer stays on for about 10-20 min after. i just reinstalled windows so its not that - this problem also happened before i reinstalled. i havnt installed anything yet besideds drivers, itunes and quicktime. the only thing i can think of is that when i was installing the windows and it was copying the setup files it said cannot copy pro_seg1.swf so i skipped it. this happened on my last instalation of windows too.

2. ** REGISTER to REMOVE This Ad On The Site!! **
    Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
  3. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar FST Programmer
    It won't be that file that didn't copy, it's just a flash file (probably from the help or tutorials).

You could try looking in teh event logs to see if you find anything in there... right click my comp -> manage -> click event viewer on the left -> check each event type for anything around the time of your last shutdown and post them here.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    there are 5 errors all the same, 2 of them were around the shutdown time. its something to do with my internet. donno what. also this problem only happens about 1/2 the times i shutdown so maybe it only happens when theres one of those errors with the internet? i copied what it said from the event manager:
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7000
    Date: 7/28/2005
    Time: 8:37:30 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: LEVY
    The GlobeSpan USB ADSL Loader service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

5. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    try this in the registry
    ;----- Power computer off after shutdown || Value: (0 = default, 1 = power down)
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

6. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    can you tell me what that does before i try it? i dont wanna start messing with the computer already right after i reinstalled

7. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    burlington, Ontario
    ye 99%, maybe you could explain that to us un l33t people.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar FST Programmer
    24,065 explains that registry hack.

I don't think that will fix it but worth a try.

Before shutting down, try going to start -> run -> 'services.msc' -> and find ' GlobeSpan USB ADSL Loader' or something along those lines -> right click it -> click on 'Stop' -> then restart and see if it still stalls.

edit: Another idea is to try and find our modem in the device manager and right click -> disable it to see if that solves the shutdown problems.

If either of these work I think it's a problem with your modem drivers and you should try updating it.
    Last edited by tesco; 07-28-2005 at 10:26 PM.