Thread: Pocket Pcs - Who Has One?

Poster
    I was wondering how popular pocket PCs are.

Do people use them mainly for business or for pleasure?

An inlaw of mine, from Germany, has a pocket PC, and showed me a lot of home photos and videos on it.
    I figured that I can place, in my share folder, some video files, like Sponge Bob episodes, or TV episodes, that will work with pocket PCs. These files would be labled for use with pocket PCs.

What I need to know is if there is a format for those PCs. Such as:
    -Type of video (AVI, mpg etc.)
    -Type of codec
    -Resolution (such as 160x120)
    -Audio 8-bit mono or stereo? 16-bit?
    -Anything else important

Does this sound like something that will be popular? I have a hunch it could catch on. I remember when I was the first one in my work place (and my neighborhood) to have internet access, and everyone thought it was stupid at the time, and that it would never catch on. I had a hunch that the internet would be popular. Now they all have super computers and live, shop, gamble and have sex on the internet.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    pocket pc?!? u mean palm pilot size computers? or the 1500 dollar computers w/ a small keyboard and screen..... or a labtop... desktops are still the most efficent...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by Soul814@12 April 2003 - 20:20
    pocket pc?!? u mean palm pilot size computers? or the 1500 dollar computers w/ a small keyboard and screen..... or a labtop... desktops are still the most efficent...
    These are new. They call them pocket PCs.

Most of the front of it is a color screen. Looks almost like WindosXP. High color and sound. Most people use a seperate folding keyboard for them. I believe they have touch-screens. They look like palm pilots.

I have seen them only a few times. Mostly at technical shows or computer shows. They are very expensive.

A lot of 'field devices' allow you to attach a Pocket PC to them. For example, a voltage meter, infrad heat imaging camera, hand-held UPC bar code device, etc...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    ahhh... i think i know what you mean

is it this pic?

**This item is NOT REFUNDABLE, exchange for same exact item only!!** Viewsonic A. Tablet PC V1100 A. Tablet PC V1100
    Intel® Pentium III 866MHz ULV Mobile Processor
    Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Operating System Model#: Tablet PC V1100 
    Review Link: www.pdabuyerguide.com
    Special Free FedEx Saver Shipping
    - Product Link -See It! (image count 5 ) -Price Alert (N82E16858116101) Return to Service

$1,705.00
    <-- www.newegg.com

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    That looks like it. About 3.5 inches wide though. Varies in sizes. Doesn&#39;t fold like a mini-laptop/palm pilot. It is hand-held.

I guess that&#39;s one of them. They are pretty neat.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    ummm.... seems kinda easy to lose... lol... well itz also expensive right now

Intel?Pentium III 866MHz ULV Mobile Processor <-- for 1700 dollars?&#33;??&#33;

it doesnt seem like you can run cds or floppies off of it... but there are usb ports... so you would have to buy external...