Thread: cant get ancient PC to detect 40 gig HD

what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    first of all not my PC im getting paid for doing this for somthing.

so yeah its a P2 which i just installed XP on a 3 gig HD you know those old HDs that dont even have jumper settings????

well what he wants is its for his 5 year old kid is for me to get this 40 gig as a master which i will install XP on and use that 3 gig as a slave.

well first problem i cant get the dam thing to detect the 40 gig no matter what jumper settings I have it on its quite strange actully it says if no jumper is attached to the pins its a slave....

to get this to happen that 40 gig as a master and get that 3 gig as a slave what do i have to do>?? seeing that 3 gig has no jumpers how can I make it a slave/??

and how can I get this 40 gig to detect it wont boot up just says detecting primary IDE devies .... then just sits there does nothing shit all says press F4 to skip press it does shit all...

im stuck!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Give us the proper details. Model numbers of all parts involved.

Maybe you should install the 40GB drive as the master and forget about the 3GB one.

Windows XP on a P2? You better check the minimum requirements. I think Win98 or Win2000 would be a better choice.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Win 2000 would be perfect as vb mentioned . But you would probably have to update the bios (flash) to read as 40 gb and thats not for the faint hearted .

Installed as master it would probably read as 7 or 8 gb ? Still better than a 3 gb.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=detect...S:ohmy:fficial
    Last edited by peat moss; 07-29-2005 at 04:17 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Edit : New mouse !
    Last edited by peat moss; 07-29-2005 at 04:15 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Try setting the bigger one to CS (cable select) if they are on the same IDE channel.
    And you could also try putting them on two different channels.

You may also need to set size and such manually in BIOS to get the bigger one to work. Had to do it on a P2 board years ago with a 10GB drive, otherwise it wouldn't work at all.
    Last edited by Snee; 07-29-2005 at 06:13 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Your mobo almost certainly has a limit at about 8GB or (more likely) 32GB. That's because it uses 24 or 26 bit addressing. Since it can't see the bits which would give it a larger disk size, the amount it sees is not it's maximum capacity but the physical size minus the maximum. In decimal terms that's like saying you can count up to a billion (well actually 0 to 999,999,999), so when you are presented with a number like 1,234,567,890 you can't see the initial 1 so all you get is the much smaller 234,567,890.

Check the manufacturer's web site, there may well be a jumper position which will limit the drive to reporting 32GB. If so, when the mobo queries the size all the 24 or 26 bits will be set to 1, so your drive will be reported as being the maximum that your motherboard can handle. The decimal equivalent would be that it reports 999,999,999 but if the maximum you can read is 99,999,999 then that's also catered for since it just drops the first 9.

Edit: As Snny says you can also do it in bios, but a jumper setting is safer. If you have to re-enter the bios settings you can screw up your data with the wrong figures, but the jumper setting will always be the same.
    Last edited by lynx; 07-29-2005 at 08:29 PM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    ahhhhh thanks i think the above 2 posts are correct in the problem I have to look into it

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    well i tried fucking around in the bios set it for 32gig that didn't work played with jumpers didn't work I guess a P2 364 mhz is just simply not powerful enough Ill just have to tell him that and see if he can somehow get a second hadn't 8 gig!

btw it ran XP fine on the 3 gig took a while to install of cause

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Adster

btw it ran XP fine on the 3 gig took a while to install of cause
    Probably because after formatting it had to run spell check.....
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    i talked him into re installing 98 again in the end hes just gonna use his 40 for his PC now there was a flash for teh BIOS to read a 75 gig it but I didnt know how the fuck you use it

btw it was a gigabyte ga-686lx