Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marmite

Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    Ok, stupid topic but hey. Do you like Marmite? Do you hate it? Do you even know what it is? Personally I think it's flippin' gorgeous.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Poster
    I think you are referring to Vegemite??

Black, salty tasting and rick in Vitamin B,yeast extract.

As the Advertisement goes "we're happy little vegemites as bright as bright can be, we all enjoy our vegemite for breakfast, lunch and tea, our mummies (mommies) see us growing stronger every single week, because we LOVE our vegemite, we all ADORE our vegemite, it puts a rooooooooooose in every cheeeeeeeeeek, it puts a rooooooose in every cheek"

Does that advance your query?

3. Lounge   -   #3
    I've always wondered if vegimite was the same thing but from your description it sounds like it. Thick, black salty tasting stuff made from vegetables - yum. But I thought vegemite was only in Australia - they always go on about it in Neighbours.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Skillian@12 April 2003 - 04:47
    I've always wondered if vegimite was the same thing but from your description it sounds like it. Thick, black salty tasting stuff made from vegetables - yum.
    It sounds ah...erm...errr...APPALLING!

Like something they'd make you eat on "Survivor".
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Poster
    It sounds ah...erm...errr...APPALLING!

Like something they'd make you eat on "Survivor".
    Other half says it is very much like boullion, very salty and doesn't like it. I say it is good for you, and you wouldn't want to each too much of it, cos it is salty. In moderation it tastes ok.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Originally posted by chloe_cc2002@12 April 2003 - 05:17
    In moderation it tastes ok.
    Damning with faint praise sounds like...

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Poster
    Vitamin B has been proven to ward off mosquitoes, and the mosquitoes seem to be attracted to other half. When he was younger he took brewer's yeast for the same reason. It does work. Now he ate vegemite for a short time and then decided on B complex vitamins. It is true, I found some scientific explanation for why the mosquitoes don't attack persons as readily as they would who have vitamin B in their systems. It is something to do with the seeping through of B2 through the skin and affects the mosquitoes' ability to smell their target or something. They are attracted to oxyllic acid, infrared and Co2, reason being they are associated with mammals and they want mammalian blood so that is what they look for.

So I guess he is a mammal after all, other half, as I have never seen anyone with about 150 mosquito bites on them whereas I didn't get any. Perhaps this just means that I can't even attract mosquitoes which is fairly tragic. That affliction of victimhood is something that I am fairly good at invoking.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Originally posted by chloe_cc2002@11 April 2003 - 23:38
    Vitamin B has been proven to ward off mosquitoes, and the mosquitoes seem to be attracted to other half. When he was younger he took brewer's yeast for the same reason. It does work. Now he ate vegemite for a short time and then decided on B complex vitamins. It is true, I found some scientific explanation for why the mosquitoes don't attack persons as readily as they would who have vitamin B in their systems. It is something to do with the seeping through of B2 through the skin and affects the mosquitoes' ability to smell their target or something. They are attracted to oxyllic acid, infrared and Co2, reason being they are associated with mammals and they want mammalian blood so that is what they look for.

So I guess he is a mammal after all, other half, as I have never seen anyone with about 150 mosquito bites on them whereas I didn't get any. Perhaps this just means that I can't even attract mosquitoes which is fairly tragic. That affliction of victimhood is something that I am fairly good at invoking.
    who the hell cares? did ne1 read this?

its vegemite! i dont want to know!

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Originally posted by chloe_cc2002@12 April 2003 - 05:38

Perhaps this just means that I can't even attract mosquitoes which is fairly tragic.
    Many would find that a blessing.

I would still rather be consumed by mosquitos than eat that stuff.
    (Yes, I have seen it and even ventured a wee taste. Perhaps if I'd been introduced at a very young age - say, zygote - it would seem ok. But as an adult....YEECHH&#33

10. Lounge   -   #10
    "The most common use is as a spread on toast or in sandwiches. Note: it is generally spread very thinly because of its strong flavor—don't use it like jam. It has drug-like qualities; the more you eat, the thicker you need to spread it to get the same mouth-burning effect. Some people have even called it addictive.
    It is also delicious spread on hot buttered crumpets or ryvita crackers. A pregnant fan has reported a love for Marmite and bananas.
    Phil Johnson's favorite way to eat it is thinly-spread on rye toast with slices of sharp cheddar cheese. Very satisfying.
    One contributor to the "I love Marmite" Web site has this suggestion: "Eat it on raw spaghetti. It's true! Dip raw spaghetti in Marmite and then eat; it tastes just like Twiglets."
    A lot of Brits have it on buttered toast. Do take care not to get butter or bread crumbs in the Marmite jar. It makes an unappetizing mess for the next person.
    There is no feeling like the smugness you feel when you manage to scrape just enough Marmite from the jar for another piece of toast. Top tip (from James Kew): pour boiling water into a near-empty jar and drink the jar clean.
    A teaspoon of Marmite can also be added to soups, casseroles, and almost any savory food for a wonderful, rich flavoring.
    In England, pretzel-like morsels and other boxed fast-food snacks are available with Marmite flavoring. Fans of Mr. Bean will remember an episode where he made hors d'oeuvres for a party by spreading Marmite on twigs cut from a tree outside his kitchen window.
    In some neighborhoods it is (apparently&#33 common for nursing mothers to dab a little on their nipples before feeding their infants.
    There are reports that some balding men have tried smearing Marmite on their heads to promote hair growth. No assessment of whether it works, however."

From the Marmite FAQ!

edit: also from the Marmite FAQ:

"12. What are Vegemite, Promite, Bovril and Yeast Extract?

Answer: They are not Marmite in any way or form.
    Vegemite is an Australian product, manufactured by Kraft Foods Ltd, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, and is generally described by Marmite fans as a weaker version spread than British-produced Marmite—I can personally back this statement up."

IT IS NOT VEGEMITE!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast