Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you think would result from a repeal of Roe v Wade?

MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    An increase in back-alley abortion clinics, and therefore an increase in the fatality rate from said procedures.

What prompted this one j2?

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    A few more Republican votes?
    "First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win."

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    micolithe's Avatar Painfully average.
    Massive amounts of appeals to the supreme court in an order to reinstate Roe V Wade, and then more appeals to repeal it again.

There's no winning for anyone on this one. It's a self-perpetuating cycle, no matter which side of the debate you're on.
    Current Favorite Song
    Exodus Damage by John Vanderslice

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicNakor
    An increase in back-alley abortion clinics, and therefore an increase in the fatality rate from said procedures.

Probably the bump of his " Surpreme Court Decisions poll "

as for my answer to the question, in agreement with MagicNakor and ReoDeLeo's answers, also an argument of what is and what is not " the right of privacy"

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I've heard a lot of spin from the activists on this. It's played up by the pro choice and down by the anti choice sides. Hard to take either side seriously.

I think the initial short term thing would be around 10-20 states banning abortion completely after reverting almost instantly to the statutes still "on the books" others would bring in restrictions such as bans on late term procedures but these will be harder to keep unless they allow for the procedure to take place for the sake of the mothers health, which has been a stumbling block in the past.
    I'm not sure if the "back street" abortion issue will happen on any significant scale but it will happen in poor districts.

I think it's possible that there will be some political backlash but to what level I'm not sure. The reason I think this is because poll after poll suggests that about 60-70% don't think roe should be overturned. However probably only 30-40% are strongly opposed to overturning it and they probably don't vote republican anyway. Also the fact that we haven't seen any legislation make it through that would overrule it. This suggests that our lawmakers think that it may cost them votes.

Overturning roe will not be the end of the issue. On either side.
    Pro choice will be fighting to give everyone equal rights to decide no matter what state they live in.
    Anti freedom (made that up just for you j2 ) will campaign to ban abortion at federal level. I'm affraid I find the "states rights" arguement unbelievable. It is about banning abortion, nothing else, ad if they can ban it at federal level they will not care about states rights.

Of course at this time in history a federal ban isn't likely. Even with our current theocratic government.

One thing I can say I think will happen is that the political divide we have already will be widened.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicNakor

I have often noted many who willingly (or willy-nilly) engage the argument or jump to blindly defend the decision do so from a stance of being constitutionally uninformed, or possessing a willingness to ignore certain of the constitution's precepts in order to entertain more creative interpretations of it.

So to speak.

The short version is that many don't know the first thing about our Constitution, and/or have no patience with any other than their "favorite" parts of it.

This thread could be charitably described as an attempt to gauge the general level of understanding of our most important founding document.

I hope it is as interesting as I intend it to be, though my expectations are not high; everyone is inclined to think I'm only out to light fires with this particular subject.
    ..........especially when your own opinion is usually noticeably absent.

I would like a conservative challenged on this issue.

Are all abortions to be banned? If it murder then there can't be abortion based on an unhealthy baby. That's a perceived mercy killing. If your baby is unhealthy tough.

Got raped? Tough.
    Incest? Tough.

To compromise, it throws their "life starts at conception so killing that life is murder" out the window.

If their are 5 conservative judges and a conservative congress, Roe/Wade will be repealed. It is too important to a theocratic government or should I say, a government that appears theocratic (in essence full of shit).

I like what someone else said...there will be numerous appeals and appeals of appeals.

The court is likely to have some weird rationale behind their decision just like it did in the original case.....one being the pursuit of liberty?
    Last edited by Busyman; 07-31-2005 at 04:22 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    I'm affraid I find the "states rights" arguement unbelievable. It is about banning abortion, nothing else, ad if they can ban it at federal level they will not care about states rights.
    I think you are dead wrong, vid, and I hope you get the chance to see how wrong you are, about me in particular, and conservatives in general.

For purposes of this thread I will opine that I don't believe a repeal of Roe would result in back-alley abortions or anything of the sort.

I myself would be satisfied to never raise the subject again if the states were to (once-and-for-all) have the opportunity to decide for themselves what status abortion should have.

I could definitely get behind a constitutional ban on late-term abortion, as I find it especially abhorrent, but again, my primary concern is that we return to the Constitution as our exemplar.

Satisfied, B.?
    No
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I'm affraid I find the "states rights" arguement unbelievable. It is about banning abortion, nothing else, ad if they can ban it at federal level they will not care about states rights.
    I think you are dead wrong, vid, and I hope you get the chance to see how wrong you are, about me in particular, and conservatives in general.
    I suppose that was a bit of a generalisation, I should have said "activists" at the end of "pro choice" and "anti freedom", because those are the ones "getting into it"

However if as you think the issue will end at overturning then I look forward to never having to listen to the likes of Tony Perkins on abortion again because if his state decides to allow it he will be happy with it as it's the state that decided it.

Personally I think roe v wade is correct because of my view on individual
    freedoms.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9

I suppose that was a bit of a generalisation, I should have said "activists" at the end of "pro choice" and "anti freedom", because those are the ones "getting into it"

However if as you think the issue will end at overturning then I look forward to never having to listen to the likes of Tony Perkins on abortion again because if his state decides to allow it he will be happy with it as it's the state that decided it.

freedoms.
    That is the crux of the argument.

Are you free to kill children? Is that a liberty that should be protected?

Then also, under what circumstances? In all circumstances?
    Last edited by Busyman; 07-31-2005 at 07:42 PM.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    micolithe's Avatar Painfully average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    freedoms.
    That is the crux of the argument.

Are you free to kill children? Is that a liberty that should be protected?
    And this is exactly what I meant by "this argument will have no winners, it will go on forever"
    Current Favorite Song
    Exodus Damage by John Vanderslice

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast