Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Roe v. Wade may become moot/obsolete...

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!

Damn j2, where do you get these articles...a fellow conservative emails them too you, reason magazine, or conservativeRepublicanocChristian.com?

The article is flawed. Proving that, with the help of machines, a fetus is viable proves nothing in relation to Roe v Wade.

Ya know...with the help of the womb it's viable too.

Hmmm not unless the article is saying that anyone that wants an abortion would just have a fetus aborted from the body and grown in da tube. Is that what it's saying? (sorry I skimmed it)

I couldn't miss this one though...
    and thus potentially legally safe from the abortionist's medical weapons

I think I saw some of those weapons in the movies Dead Ringers and The House Of Flying Daggers.
    Last edited by Busyman; 08-05-2005 at 08:26 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    It seems to be a win win situation then.

The pregnant woman can have the "abortion" she wants and then the foetus can be brought to term outside the womb and placed in a conservative home to be raised.

So where does this go with the other end of life. We can artificially keep a body alive So given that the argument allows life to be viable even only with "artificial support" are we to see and end of "pulling the plug".

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Well it is open to interpretation of course which is why I worded my answer as I did.

If the plan is to ban abortion because it is "possible" to use technology to bring the unborn to term then I couldn't accept it unless the technology was actually available. We can't overturn Roe just because something has been achieved in Japan.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc

The pregnant woman can have the "abortion" she wants and then the foetus can be brought to term outside the womb and placed in a conservative home to be raised.

So where does this go with the other end of life. We can artificially keep a body alive So given that the argument allows life to be viable even only with "artificial support" are we to see and end of "pulling the plug".
    Thank you for "getting it", or at least more of it than Busyman, vid.

The developments described present an alternative which resolves certain issues while re-ordering/eliminating/ raising others.

It definitely re-contours the landscape.
    Hey there I got it

Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Hmmm not unless the article is saying that anyone that wants an abortion would just have a fetus aborted from the body and grown in da tube. Is that what it's saying? (sorry I skimmed it)
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc

Do you really see not killing an unborn person as being analogous with artificially prolonging life.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    It will be a happy day when termination isn't the alternative to carrying the baby to full term, though there are still issues with the babies right to know who its parents are. But its still a long way off, babies born very premature are nearly always severely neurologically impaired

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw
    .... babies born very premature are nearly always severely neurologically impaired
    No offence, but please provide your reason for saying that. With quantification of "very premature" and "severely neurologically impaired".

Otherwise your contention is at best trite.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8

[sigh

The column doesn't mention banning abortion, vid-it reveals Roe v Wade as (at the very least potentially) moot in light of the technology.

It actually says this:

Once such technologies make it medically possible for a fetus to be "potentially able to live outside the mother's womb, albeit with artificial aid" the language of Roe v Wade will not have to be overturned. It could stay on the books as legally valid, but factually meaningless.
    [sigh]
    So you feel that the fact that a woman will be denied an abortion with Roe being meaningless isn't in reality the same thing.

"We are not banning abortion, we are just not allowing it"
    Sounds like spin to me.

The Roe v Wade ruling is just one part of the struggle.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Do you remember buggy whips?

When motorized vehicles became the favored method of transportation, all of the statutes on the books having to do with horse-drawn carriages gradually became obsolete.

I'd lay money that they're still on the books, though.

Really, vid; you must stop being obstinate for obstinacy's sake and admit I am at least occasionally right...
    and occasionally very right

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    and occasionally very right
    Of the two, I thought the latter constantly?
    That would depend on the specific topic.

For either right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast