Thread: divxplayer

Rizindon's Avatar Poster
    lookin for best divx player possible in the uk plz looked at few but all have mixed review any recomendations ??

wud like one where a film i downlaod burn it and play no hassle ! thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    i have the phillips dvp-642. it's kinda old now, but it's still pimp as hell

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Forget the dvp-642, it will never be available in Europe (official comment from Philips).

Best I've come across as a player only is the Yamada 6700, should cost about £40
    http://www.cclonline.com/product-inf...ufacturer_id=0

I recently got a H&B HDD/DVD recorder.
    http://www.cclonline.com/product-inf...ufacturer_id=0
    Apart from the fact that the HDD was (quote) "totally stuffed" (it wasn't, the software simply refused to acknowledge it's presence 80% of the time) the software was completely inadequate and certainly did not play divx files as they should have been played. Needless to say it went back and I got a refund. From the software problems I wouldn't be surprised if this company is a subsidiary of Microsoft. Except that it is French, which explains the software problems immediately.

Given that the decoder chip in this player is the same as in the other H&B players, and from what I understand all the Kiss players, my recomendation would be that you avoid H&B and Kiss if your primary objective is Divx playback.

BTW, replaced the HDD/DVD recorder with a LG RH7500. Excellent quality, excellent recording/playback, perfect Divx reproduction. A few minor niggles, but considering that the unit has only just come on the market I imagine firmware upgrades may well fix those.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I think the dvp-630 is the eu equivalent to the dvp-642 and the 642 does kick a** only had a few files out of hundreds that didn't want to play.Menu trick works on most problem files.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    i recommend a BBK dvd player..they're all good, and plays just about any divx/xvid film as well. got a whole seinfeld season on one dvd...niice

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by accat13
    I think the dvp-630 is the eu equivalent to the dvp-642 and the 642 does kick a** only had a few files out of hundreds that didn't want to play.Menu trick works on most problem files.
    wat's the menu trick?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    It's very odd if the pic is blury(decoding issue) or the sound is off just a little, just press the "system menu " button on the remote.It clears up the issue sometimes.Almost like it gives the player time to think and decode properly.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    muchspl3's Avatar muchspl3 > muchspl2
    word

642 is the best IMO, I have bought 4 now for friends and family, makes my life so much easier (no more converting)
    `anyone from Argentina on this board?

I need your help and if you can help me pM me

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by muchspl3
    word

642 is the best IMO, I have bought 4 now for friends and family, makes my life so much easier (no more converting)
    amen! plus i got it for free after getting a free $80 gift card for best buy. i am da pwnage!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I have two of the 642 and it really is the best for the money...
    Last edited by RealitY; 08-10-2005 at 08:05 AM.