Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Genuine Windows Validation fixed

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    [news=http://img285.imageshack.us/img285/6255/mssecurity2vk.gif]Seemed to of missed this one, the fix was implemented a few days ago and now requires users to enter a code before being able to download. One can only wonder if the less tech-savvy users will be able to grasp the concept!

theunofficialmicrosoftblog is reporting that Microsoft has updated the Windows Genuine Validation tool to circumvent the hack exposed last week that allowed the system to be bypassed with a snippet of JavaScript code. The Validation is now a two-step process that first generates a code and then has you copy and paste that code to complete the process.

Source:theunofficialmicrosoftblog | Neowin.net[/news]
    Last edited by tesco; 08-06-2005 at 11:25 PM.

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Yet the other workaround (disabling WGA in IE>Tools>Manage add-ons) still works.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Yup, it does, tested for myself.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    I just went to update and it didn't ask me to do that. Of course there wasn't anything new so maybe that comes after you select what you need
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    My Trixie and Greasemonkey workarounds still work just fine.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by tracydani
    I just went to update and it didn't ask me to do that. Of course there wasn't anything new so maybe that comes after you select what you need
    You might have have auto updates enabled so you weren't asked . Try updating manualy then follow the (disabling WGA in IE>Tools>Manage add-ons )
    advice from Guillaume.

I'v been on holiday for the last 10 days so was curious about this issue , came home to two panic phone messages and one e-mail about this problem. But the WGA fix is probably easier to explain to nOobs.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Guillaume
    Yet the other workaround (disabling WGA in IE>Tools>Manage add-ons) still works.
    yep

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    Quote Originally Posted by tracydani
    You might have have auto updates enabled so you weren't asked . Try updating manualy then follow the (disabling WGA in IE>Tools>Manage add-ons )
    advice from Guillaume.

I'v been on holiday for the last 10 days so was curious about this issue , came home to two panic phone messages and one e-mail about this problem. But the WGA fix is probably easier to explain to nOobs.
    Sorry, i actually have a legit copy. Came with the pc

But when i went the first few times it did the check, now it doesn't. But as I said, I have all the updates now so I'll have to see when there is something new
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    Ya, I'm full of it.
    I just updated and with the update the Windows validation tool was installed. I then re-booted and looked to turn off the validation tool as explained previously, only to find that I do not have "manage add-ons" under "Tools". I can't turn the validation tool off. Did Microsoft now remove this option? help!

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by colonblow87
    I just updated and with the update the Windows validation tool was installed. I then re-booted and looked to turn off the validation tool as explained previously, only to find that I do not have "manage add-ons" under "Tools". I can't turn the validation tool off. Did Microsoft now remove this option? help!
    what version of IE?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast