Thread: Quick Overclockin Question

Tormentor's Avatar Searching The People
    Alright bare with me since i have poor explination skills. OK lets say i have a mobo wich fully supports pc 3200 ram, i have a old 1600 athlon wich only utilizes pc2100, so when overclocking the cpu with pc2100 i am aslo overclockin the ram right? With the 2100 i was only able to achieve stable conditions at 1900 speeds(heat was not an issue, started gettin alot of bsod's wich looked memory related), so if i stick in some pc3200 ram will i be able to achieve higher clock speeds since i will no longer be overclocking the ram? Damn i hope this makes sense...
    - Unleash The Power Of The Wii, Unlock It Today!
    http://www.castabet.net

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Just to clarify things, with most mobos/processors it is the mobo which determines what speed the ram runs at, not the cpu. That changes with Athlon 64, but we don't need to worry about that here.

Check to see if your mobo allows you to set the speed of your memory independently of your processor. If it does, then reduce the speed of your memory.

Once you've done that you can try increasing your processor speed again. If it isn't successful then your memory is not the limiting factor so there's no point in buying faster memory, just restore the memory settings to what they were before. However, it will probably be your cpu which is the limiting factor in this situation, so you may get more speed from it if you raise Vcore a little (if you can).

On the other hand if it is successful then you know that your ram was the limiting factor so it may be worthwhile getting faster memory. But it may not be worth it if you can only get a few more MHz from your processor.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Tormentor's Avatar Searching The People
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Just to clarify things, with most mobos/processors it is the mobo which determines what speed the ram runs at, not the cpu. That changes with Athlon 64, but we don't need to worry about that here.

Check to see if your mobo allows you to set the speed of your memory independently of your processor. If it does, then reduce the speed of your memory.

Once you've done that you can try increasing your processor speed again. If it isn't successful then your memory is not the limiting factor so there's no point in buying faster memory, just restore the memory settings to what they were before. However, it will probably be your cpu which is the limiting factor in this situation, so you may get more speed from it if you raise Vcore a little (if you can).

On the other hand if it is successful then you know that your ram was the limiting factor so it may be worthwhile getting faster memory. But it may not be worth it if you can only get a few more MHz from your processor.
    Hmm well i now realize that it is my memory holding me back cuz my current mobo only alows me to over clock the cpu to 1900 without having to oc the ram due to its fucked up bios( has settings like 100/100, 133/133 etc.). so i guess with the new mobo and ram i can get some more mhz out of the cpu. and now i have lost what i am talkin about, well better stop before i have a stroke. Guess ill just wait a few days and find out.
    - Unleash The Power Of The Wii, Unlock It Today!
    http://www.castabet.net