Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you with NTL? Get ready for 10mb!

NTL has become the first major UK ISP to breakthrough the 8Mbps barrier by offering 10Mbps as its standard broadband speed.

All the cable operator's 1.5 million customers will be offered a free upgrade with no additional monthly fee, beginning with its current 3Mbps subscribers. Users will also be able to choose a usage allowance, priced accordingly, to match their requirements, with a tool provided to monitor usage; an uncapped option will be provided.

The first upgrades will take place before the end of the year. As a bonus 3Mbps subscribers will also see their usage limit raised from 30GB to 75GB per month. All upgrades will be completed by the end of 2006, by which time NTL may have begun the process of merging with the UK's other cable operator, Telewest.

Our broadband services will become amongst the most innovative in the world and certainly well ahead of anything else in the UK,' said Simon Duffy, NTL's CEO. 'This is a major step towards delivering Britain's digital future.'

NTL believes that the faster connections will speed the evolution of the connected home as well as promoting the take up of content-based online services, such as video-on-demand, videoconferencing, online gaming, IP telephony and HDTV.

While the 10Mbps implementation takes place, NTL is set to begin a commercial pilot of its flexible bandwidth technology. This gives users a 'Turbo Button' to boost their speed, to make a particular task quicker.

Beyond 10Mbps, the company is looking to provide services based on DOCSIS 3.0 over cable and ADSL 2+ over copper technologies, with speeds in excess of 30Mbps. Moving to a single 10Mbps speed, it says, will make future increases easier and quicker to deliver. A trial currently underway in Chorleywood is already delivering speeds of up to 20Mbps.

'Moving 1.5 million customers to a connection of up to 10Mb is a major initiative. However, we have full confidence in our ability to complete this programme in 2006 by leveraging our next generation platform,' Duffy said.
    Source

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    wow lol, just a shame there is no way my town is ever gonna get cabled, have to stick with good ole zen 1mbit

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    Bebi's Avatar Super Duper Member
    *bump* I wish they would hurry up... I bet they release it as late as they can

I am 3mb currently so I should get the nice wee bonus

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Enjoy the capping

Meanwhile I'll still be enjoying my 8MB DSL with no caps, and very low price.

I will however be switching in Dec/Jan to "Be Internet" once my exchange gets upgraded with their equipment. 23MB DSL for £24. Free modem / router (wireless of course) and ZERO caps.

NTL shot themselves in the foot when they went the capping route. I don't care if they offered 50MB for the prices they charge. There's no sense in getting fantastic speeds if you can't use it to the fullest extent.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    Bebi's Avatar Super Duper Member
    well I am a big downloader of films and I RARELY ever go over 15gb... although I only download new films and its not everyday a new one comes out that is decent to watch

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    Well I'm looking at around 200-300GB per month on average with my ISP. I've hit extreme cases where I've got around 450GB, but I'll always be safe knowing that I'll never get a letter coming through the door or a telephone call telling me my access is going to be limited, or in other cases, a sudden decrease in speed so it drops down to 56k.

I'm going to be in 7th Heaven when I finally get that 20MB+ DSL line.

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    I getting adsl2 22meg dl and 756kbs upload with uk-online and only £29.99 PM paying more then that now for just 2meg dl lol.

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by totalwar
    I getting adsl2 22meg dl and 756kbs upload with uk-online and only £29.99 PM paying more then that now for just 2meg dl lol.
    Check out "Be Internet" before you go ahead. I'll be going with them when my exchange gets a refurb in Dec. Plus they give you a free modem worth £100, no caps and no port blocking

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai
    Enjoy the capping

Meanwhile I'll still be enjoying my 8MB DSL with no caps, and very low price.

I will however be switching in Dec/Jan to "Be Internet" once my exchange gets upgraded with their equipment. 23MB DSL for £24. Free modem / router (wireless of course) and ZERO caps.

NTL shot themselves in the foot when they went the capping route. I don't care if they offered 50MB for the prices they charge. There's no sense in getting fantastic speeds if you can't use it to the fullest extent.
    Quote Originally Posted by NTL
    All the cable operator's 1.5 million customers will be offered a free upgrade with no additional monthly fee, beginning with its current 3Mbps subscribers. Users will also be able to choose a usage allowance, priced accordingly, to match their requirements, with a tool provided to monitor usage; an uncapped option will be provided.

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #10
    Fair enough, but the way it's worded sounds like there will be an extra charge involved, thus making it not really uncapped per sé as you'll be paying for it anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast