Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Oh look, a shoe

Mr. Mulder's Avatar pepper your angus BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    is that what the kids are calling it

2. Lounge   -   #52
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    .... Perhaps a better term would've been "clique/social group/inner circle" or something like that. I meant to convey that there's a group of regulars that post consistently, often with references, terms and inside jokes that make navigating the site extremely difficult for newcomers. That is fine in it's own right, but when combined with the entire group harshing on every random idiot that posts something inane, it can look incredibly unwelcoming to anyone who isn't as familiar with the site as you or me. Is it really that hard to just report the post and move on?
    On rereading your reply, that is a fallacy, the entire group harshing every random idiot.... In the last month I have been 'harsh' once, the post was deleted. It was obviously not a valid inquiry and I swore at the tard that posted it, I'm not a saint, people sometimes piss me off, that is the one solitary objectionable poast on my behalf. The other times I have harshed someone is when pierceseth tripped over his own cock and posted the wrong name in a reply to a movie, I inquired whether he should ventilate the room more when cooking his meth and I commiserated with vagina after a rather illiterate post, hoping that his concussion gets better. The only other negative comments were to slighfox, after he started calling Idol a 'TROOL', and being illiterate and insulting isn't a good mix.

In that same time I replied to a question on DirectX in the hardware section, fully knowing it was a spurious inquiry, but still giving an answer, since it may help someone, and also helped out with formatting an external hdd for HFS to use with a Mac.

There was actually a time in the long distant past when this board thrived on conflict, the busiest section of the board was the bit torrent section and there were those traded invites and accounts and those who were against the practice. There used to be some monumental bitch fights, it was all pink handbags at five paces, and was truly hilarious to be involved in. That is probably where the outrage from the older members stems from, this used to be a board where you could speak your mind, and call someone a fuckwit if you thought they were. Everyone got on though, and the spirited to and fro was what made the board vibrant.

These days you are pandering to the lowest common denominator, they aren't particularly interested in contributing to the board apart from the required number of posts, and as I said before only really create I like/don't like lists. Who actually vaguely cares about great long random lists of like/don't like? I've certainly given up reading them, I don't know about anyone else. I am actually quite happy at this point to confine my activity to the lounge, since by and large the people that frequent it can breathe and type at the same time.

I will reiterate again though, the major reason for a lack of activity is the type of posts that are being generated, they do not invite discussion and no 'tweaking of the rules' is going to change that.

You're still a dickhead for calling the regular posters a circlejerk though....

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

3. Lounge   -   #53
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    As I said circlejerk was a poor choice of words resulting from writing a long post with 2 hours of sleep. If I truly thought this board was a circle jerk it would be directly contradicting the exact reason I joined this board (which I mentioned earlier), and I wouldn't be using this site in the first place. If you want to keep egging on me for it, whatever.

On rereading your reply, that is a fallacy, the entire group harshing every random idiot.... In the last month I have been 'harsh' once, the post was deleted. It was obviously not a valid inquiry and I swore at the tard that posted it, I'm not a saint, people sometimes piss me off, that is the one solitary objectionable poast on my behalf. The other times I have harshed someone is when pierceseth tripped over his own cock and posted the wrong name in a reply to a movie, I inquired whether he should ventilate the room more when cooking his meth and I commiserated with vagina after a rather illiterate post, hoping that his concussion gets better. The only other negative comments were to slighfox, after he started calling Idol a 'TROOL', and being illiterate and insulting isn't a good mix.
    Again, this post isn't directed towards any one member or person. It's a policy for the board as a whole. We're not saying any one person excessively violated this rule or something.

There was actually a time in the long distant past when this board thrived on conflict, the busiest section of the board was the bit torrent section and there were those traded invites and accounts and those who were against the practice. There used to be some monumental bitch fights, it was all pink handbags at five paces, and was truly hilarious to be involved in. That is probably where the outrage from the older members stems from, this used to be a board where you could speak your mind, and call someone a fuckwit if you thought they were. Everyone got on though, and the spirited to and fro was what made the board vibrant.
    I do remember that. Most of the "bitchfights" were derived from actual, relevant BT happenings or "drama" or whatever. That's why it was mostly let through. It was still relevant, and our more relaxed moderation policies compared to most forums let it through. Excessive hostile posting was still always infracted though back then.

I will reiterate again though, the major reason for a lack of activity is the type of posts that are being generated, they do not invite discussion and no 'tweaking of the rules' is going to change that.
    Ok. It just seems like most the arguments you are making in thread are just "this doesn't do anything", which is surprisingly tame for how much you guys seemingly hate it. Could you more describe exactly how it hurts the board rather than help it? Or what else you would change that would be even better?
    Last edited by Rart; 07-11-2014 at 08:16 AM.

4. Lounge   -   #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    As I said circlejerk was a poor choice of words resulting from writing a long post with 2 hours of sleep. If I truly thought this board was a circle jerk it would be directly contradicting the exact reason I joined this board (which I mentioned earlier), and I wouldn't be using this site in the first place. If you want to keep egging on me for it, whatever.
    I've only mentioned it twice, and the second time was from sheer joy at your mea culpa and rending of garments, I just had to have another whirl when you did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rart
    It just seems like most the arguments you are making in thread are just "this doesn't do anything", which is surprisingly tame for how much you guys seemingly hate it. Could you more describe exactly how it hurts the board rather than help it? Or what else you would change that would be even better?
    For myself, I simply do not like censorship, as I see it personally, this new 'tweaking of the rules' will affect me very little apart from the occasional urge to scream at some speshal member that deeply deserves it.

How can we make the board better.....? With the current crop of new recruits there isn't a great deal of hope. They are selfish and self involved, this isn't a community to them, it is a place to leech from so good luck with that, I'd rather teach catfish to yodel....

5. Lounge   -   #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    The other times I have harshed someone is when pierceseth tripped over his own cock and posted the wrong name in a reply to a movie, I inquired whether he should ventilate the room more when cooking his meth and I commiserated with vagina after a rather illiterate post, hoping that his concussion gets better.
    Oh I in fact meant Bill Paxton, not Tom Cruise. My prosopagnosia only flares up around past one night stands. I also have a thick skin.

Like 6mm, it's kinda gross.

The problem was the harshings escalated to straight up non-discriminatory for a time. A couple of promising new posters headed for the exit. Would their additions have changed the signal-to-noise that much?

Like you said the lack of activity is endemic to something else.

6. Lounge   -   #56
    You really, really need a thick skin to play this ballpark, but ick.... 6mm, maybe you could shave some off and donate it to Rart?

7. Lounge   -   #57
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by piercerseth View Post
    A couple of promising new posters headed for the exit.
    Pictures or it didn't happen.
    Respect my lack of authority.

8. Lounge   -   #58
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by piercerseth View Post
    A couple of promising new posters headed for the exit.
    Pictures or it didn't happen.
    https://filesharingtalk.com/threads/4...search-feature

We were all a little irascible then. Another forum had closed a bit earlier and the refugees landed here. I was aware of this poster's reputation from outside this site, and she was plenty polite.
    Last edited by piercerseth; 07-11-2014 at 02:05 PM.

9. Lounge   -   #59
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I'm big on reputation because in the long run I think it means more than actual tangible performance and that is mostly how I am able to still get women.

Anyway I do remember the influx and do remember being whatever the opposite of nonplussed is from all the "Gee I remember how you were such a great and interesting scribe on some other place" and the alleged "great and interesting scribe " never confirmed that statement by ever posting anything beyond maybe "Hi " which is neither great or interesting here.

Also I said "promising".I am admittedly stupid but I fail to see anything remotely promising in any of those posts.Mine included.
    Respect my lack of authority.

10. Lounge   -   #60
    I don't recall when posters were required to present a letter of introduction or meet whatever arbitrary criterion you set? Someone who shows up here first day chomping at the bit to post nzbs and donate their time I'd classify as 'promising.'

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast