Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use Plex?

megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by pootystomp View Post
    Is that what you really think, if so, please explain.
    The Amazon Fire TV essentially has the innards of an upper-mid-range smartphone. It runs on a 1.7GHz quad-core Snapdragon 600 CPU, which is backed by 2GB of RAM. It also has 8GB of storage.

It's far more powerful than the Roku 3, which runs on a dual-core A9 Broadcom BCM11130 Merlyn and 512MB of RAM. While its local storage is a decidedly tiddly 256MB, it can be expanded considerably through a microSD slot.

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...koaCz5fMzSm.99
    The Fire is simply a more powerful computer. I am enjoying the heck out of mine. With XBMC loaded, Plex, Amazon Prime, and Netflix, it is an entertainment beast.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 02-27-2015 at 06:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #42
    pootystomp's Avatar Poster
    Good info,

I do have a roku 2 and the stick and have some issues with the plex and amazon app on both.

The black levels on both totally crush out any dark detail just on the plex app, but if I run video off the server or through samsung bluray it is fine.

Then the amazon app stores cache or something and will eventually lock up and require a power cycle to correct.

The only thing I heard about the fire was people bitching about the voice search only working on amazon content.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #43
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I do restart both my Stick and the Fire occasionally. It does seem to slow down maybe once a week. I don't know if any streaming device/service is going to provide 'videophile' level picture quality. Apparently, you can do some modification to XBMC so that it will download the entire video instead of buffering, but this is only as good as the source. Netflix adjusts quality based on line speed. Not sure what Amazon service does. Plex has settings that can be changed on both the server side, and the receiver. I'd bet that in the long-term, the machine with the most power will ultimately provide the better quality. That said, Fire TV is still in its first year and hardware incarnation, so software improvements could develop. I have not tried them side-by-side. My last unit was a Logitech ReVue.

I do like the Fire TV better than the Stick. At $85 on sale, it is quite a capable box for the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #44
    i started to use plex and like it very much.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #45
    Love plex (installed on my FreeNas box), been using it for a few months now. The android app is pretty good as well. Helps me keep track of what I've watched.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #46
    Plex is simply fantastic. Can't wait for the Nvidia Shield Console to try some 4k streaming action.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #47
    plex is good because you can use multiple devices with it. its bad because you need to run a server for it. this could mean using your daily desktop to install and run the server.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #48
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    I use universal media server or ums for short it is a take off of ps3 media server and I installed it on my main pc with multiple hard drives for storage and it works on everything you throw at it from xbox 360 to ps3 to smart tvs
    it seems to convert different media files faster and more efficient and easy set up for novice or you can fiddle with it for more advanced users as well

most smart tvs recommend plex but I found it more sluggish
    you can read the comparisons on there web site on comparing different media streaming programs
    and you can run it on any pc mac or unix
    check it out

9. Software & Hardware   -   #49
    Dolfan-Neil's Avatar Poster
    Love my Plex setup. I'm running it as a service (search their forums, one of the users created the tool) and cast to two different Chromecasts on the first and second floor. I migrated over a year ago aft using my PS3 and XBOX360 to stream to my TVs with PS3MediaServer. Got fed up with it having issues with MKV and since it was running as a service, the issues it gave me when I wanted to do a Java update.

There has been no looking back since then. Plays anything I want and not issues.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #50
    i use it, is very useful

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast