Thread: Newbie's NAT nightmare

Unsure

Hi all,
    Well, being an oldie who's more used to a quill than a PC, I was most proud of the fact that with the help of your excellent guides, I've managed to install Azeurus and download a complete movie (even though it ended up having japanese subtitles!). However, I have a problem with all this NAT/Portforwarding stuff and if I get any more confused I think I may spontaneously combust.

I have a cable modem (1MGB broadband) with NTL and they use a 'dynamic IP address' system with DHCP (whatever that means). I've successfully opened up the ports in both my XP firewall and my Trend-micro firewall, but all the other port-forwarding information regarding NAT seems to be about routers. I don't think I even have a router. Do I need to get a 'stastic ip' or is that just when you host your own torrent? Which IP should show up as my 'external IP', my private IP address or the gateway? My brain is truly scrambled.

I am still able to download and upload, but would like to resolve this to see of my yellow smiley could go green and I could achieve faster downloads.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    disable the xp firewall for starters

right click network connections and disable it.

Hopefully you're trend firewall will then allow it.

An easyway to know your behind a router is - do you share the connection with someone else in the house?
    Last edited by DanB; 08-25-2005 at 05:33 PM. Reason: spellig eror5

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Just read more of your post, I have teh ntl cable too (2mb) so no, you aren't behind a router

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Aha...so that's all I have to do then? I don't have to do any port-forwarding or get a static IP adress? Phew.

Thanks DanB

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by aimeelou
    Aha...so that's all I have to do then? I don't have to do any port-forwarding or get a static IP adress? Phew.

Thanks DanB
    Port Forwarding is an action taken for routers connection.
    and i understand you dont have any router.
    so ignore this function.
    try to download with bitcomet, i found it more friendly to handel.

http://www.download.com/BitComet/300...=dl&tag=button