Thread: Anyone want Blue-Ray?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Sushi
    $4K? Is that with or without vasoline?
    Oh no at that price its definitely dry all the way

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RA1N1AC
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Sony might have a winner with this one though.

The PS3 will put a Blu-Ray machine in many households. I thought Blu-Ray was intrinsically a recordable format. So how is it I keep hearing Blu-Ray disc player for the PS3?

Blu-Ray also is backed by more movie studios and holds more data.

HD-DVD has a more familiar name and the manufacturing process is easier to upgrade from DVD.
    i'll have to poke around and look at some news about studio support. last time i checked, it was the other way around and HD-DVD had more studios pledging support than Blu-Ray did. it's been a while though, so maybe that tide has changed.

manufacturing process, exactly. which will translate, to some degree, to the retail price of the stuff. neverminding the horror stories about broken Playstations and the unfortunate fact that the first iteration of any new electronic gadget is bound to have its share of bugs or defects, i think Sony's electronics are generally well-made. not just specs, but performance, quality of physical contruction, how durable it is. yet Sony products also tend to be a bit overpriced even after the cost of manufacturing a technology comes down. the Blu-Ray technical specs may be somewhat superior to HD-DVD, but even so, the two formats are similar-ish enough that i figure the cheaper one will win. people aren't going to be terribly concerned with the "30GB vs 50GB" issue if it means a huge difference in prices. whichever format offers cheaper players and cheaper discs, that'll prolly be the winner (since they're both sure to deliver perfectly adequate high-def video quality).

the strength of the anti-copy protections might have an effect too. we've never seen a video format get rejected by the market on the basis of anti-copy protection, but then those protections have almost always been cracked. if one of these new formats has a totally uncrackable anti-copy scheme, that could be the day we find out just how strongly the average customers feel about the ability to make backups.
    Blu-Ray would win for computer users 'cause an extra 20 gig a disc is most excellent. However, your right that if it's cost prohibitive vs. HD-DVD then Blu-Ray would be a loser.

HD-DVD needs to cost less out the gate or risk losing the format war.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    matt526's Avatar Poster
    I think the whole concept of Blue-ray is stupid. And what’s with putting the DVD in a case. Didn’t they try this with miniCD’s a while back, that turned out to be a flop.
    It’s going to be way to hard to upgrade to Blue-ray hardware.
    I have herd that HD-DVD’s will be able to play on must stand-alone DVD player out today, just not in HD quality.
    I really don’t think Blue-ray is going to be taken on by the consumer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12