Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 5,000 gallons of pure water an hour

Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Everose
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    So would the Helicopters..

However its a mute point, the water tankers arrived already...
    Have you actually had no news of helicopters dropping food and water....boats going in as soon as possible and rescue workers risking their own lives pulling people off roofs, out of attics, and even trees as quickly as possible? This did not just start happening today, RF. I have been watching reports of it all week.

Sixty thousand people to be evacuated out of what was at first a very unstable area. Think of it, RF.
    Thats the point Everose...

1000's of people and they concentrate on stopping the looting.

Most people were concentrated in 2 areas, with 1000's stuck spread out.

Even in those 2 areas, most of the food and water that arrived, came from individuals, not the authorities.

We saw interviews with people in those areas, with kids, that had not eaten in 5 days and were drinking the water in the streets... these werent stuck in a building waiting to be rescued, they were in the stadium.

The USA has responded to disasters the other side of the world quicker than they responded to their own.

They actually started out excellent... declaring the disaster before the hurricane hit, to clear the way and ensure that the reaction was quick... what happened?

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I agree RF. Here's what happened imo. The people are poor so they don't count. Look at the response 911 got from the government. They moved heaven & earth to try & rescue. Here they couldn't be bothered to do even the basics (get them food & water - by air etc.) for days. Some still haven't received that. They should have commandered all the resources they needed public & private (by decree of national emergency) to help. But they didn't lift a finger for days. I'm ashamed of my government.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    So I guess the benefit of waiting would be all of those poor people dying. This would mean the government need not worry about rebuilding or relocating those people thereby saving the government some money that could better be spent on fighting a war in another country.

That was some pretty quick thinking on their part if you ask me.
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    They should have been sawing through rooftops days ago. Wonder how many are dead in their attics.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #45
    That would defeat the purpose of waiting. I mean after all, they were only poor people.

I had no idea why it was taking so long, but once it was pointed out that they were poor, and as others have said, mostly black, now I understand.

It's not as if waiting would come back and haunt the government or anything, so I agree, it was a calculated effort.
    Peace of mind Findnot

6. The Drawing Room   -   #46
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb
    I agree RF. Here's what happened imo. The people are poor so they don't count. Look at the response 911 got from the government. They moved heaven & earth to try & rescue. Here they couldn't be bothered to do even the basics (get them food & water - by air etc.) for days. Some still haven't received that. They should have commandered all the resources they needed public & private (by decree of national emergency) to help. But they didn't lift a finger for days. I'm ashamed of my government.
    the twin towers was just two towers. in new orleans pretty much the whole infrastructure was destroyed. i bet out of the firemen, policemen and medics the main issue for the first couple of days was their own survival nevermind everyone else.

i'm surprised there wasn't a "little boats" reponse like dunkirk though. out of all those SUVs over the border in texas i haven't heard anything about people coming to help. i guess the stories of lawlessness might make one think twice though

7. The Drawing Room   -   #47
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I see they sent a disaster team from my home town to help . Doctors ,nurses , dogs and a 20 team of firefighters and engineers but the looters held them back. How frustrating is that.

Edit: I'd like to add they payed their own way , because of the training they would get and this is a crack team been all over the world helping . But the only way to get better as a team is to have hands on experience .
    Last edited by peat moss; 09-03-2005 at 06:57 PM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #48
    maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    Wasn't there a bad hurricane in florida a few years ago? Nobody can blame the looter's they also must survive.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #49
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Apparently they're only looters if they're Black..

The White ones are just trying to survive.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

10. The Drawing Room   -   #50
    Well, you can tell they were desperately hungry..... Those people carting away tv's and such kept saying "well, we've got to eat".

Not to play down their circumstances, but I saw that on several clips and it just made me laugh
    Peace of mind Findnot

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast