View Poll Results: What should we do in repeat natural disaster areas?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Relocate population and use area for farming etc.

11 37.93%
  • Rebuild and wait for the next big one and start again.

4 13.79%
  • Leave it up to the population, and help them get started again.

9 31.03%
  • Leave it up to the population and make them foot the bill for staying.

5 17.24%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Orleans- restoration or relocation?

manker's Avatar effendi
    America copy something European? - that'll never catch on.

===

I think the only option is restoration.

Apart from anything else, people are so attached to where they come from as it's closely interlinked with their identity. There were problems in my locality a couple of (um, maybe like ten) years ago when a row of thirteen terraced houses were in danger of being totally demolished should an old tip subside.

The tip was unstable and 'experts' said that it was likely to collapse, causing total devastation for the hillside community, in the next year or two.

Only seven out of the families decided to move, even when the local council offered them up to five times the market value for their houses. It's dropped out of the news now so as far as I know, they're still there waiting to die
    Last edited by manker; 09-02-2005 at 12:11 PM.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    America copy something European? - that'll never catch on.
    How so? Most things in America are copies of Europe.

Maybe you're right though. That was when America was started by immigrants from Europe.
    -----

Restoration....relocation won't happen. A bigger dam would be built first.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. Lounge   -   #13
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    First off contrary to what Robs said martial law is not in effect. It takes an act of congress to pass martial law and congress was rushing back to Washington last night.

Relocating the city is just not an option. San Francisco wasn’t relocated after the devastating earthquake was it? Even though it’s built on a major fault line it was rebuilt knowing that it could happen again.

The city should be rebuilt with better protection for the next hurricane because just like earthquakes they are inevitable.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    the poor kids should kick texas out, capture the oil rigs and start their own country

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Will they be renaming the city if they restore it then?

6. Lounge   -   #16
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    very new orleans?

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Well, the majority of the polls are saying they move or stay at their own expense.

I understand that people can be very attached to their homes (although I personaly could care less if I ever get back home) and would like to go back when this is over. But I do not agree that they do it at our expense. Obviously, that's why I posted this

But it is times like these that I think we should start experimenting with new ways of doing things. People have been designing new ways of doing things, better (so they think) ways of living and I think this is the time to try some of them out.

I just read that we have another month or 2 of hurricane season to go through and that our oil problems may get far worse. Sounds like a great time to really focus on alternatives.

Housing troubles have been around forever. Sounds like a great time to try the alternatives talked about in the past. I remember some real crazy sounding ones in articles in the past where whole communities of thousands of people live in a somewhat self sustaining building. Housing, malls, jobs, parks, whatever all in one. Or what about the underground type housing where whole communities live underground and the farms/parks are above them (probably not the best idea for an area prone to flooding ). Hell, that barge/boat whatever it was thing that was supposed to go around the world in 3 years and be a mostly self sustaining city of 10,000 or so sound like it would be great for this area

I am not saying those are the answers, but I definately think these are the times to start trying new methods rather then just going back to the way things were because people have become attached. I don't think just moving back and building bigger dikes or whatever is the answer though either.

Although the Venice thing sounds sorta cool How would Venice do in a class 5 hurricane
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBank_Hank
    First off contrary to what Robs said martial law is not in effect. It takes an act of congress to pass martial law and congress was rushing back to Washington last night.
    Your thinking of posse comitatus, which doesnt allow the Military to be used for policing.

The National Guard is exempt from this.

However, i agree with you... legally Martial Law is not in force, as its not recognised by Louisiana's State Law.

Again, however...

A spokesman for Louisiana governor Kathleen Blanco said in a briefing late Wednesday that military police, Louisiana state troopers and police from other states were being deployed to New Orleans, and that pursuant to a request by the Governor federal troops would be assigned to search-and-rescue to free Louisiana National Guard personnel for law enforcement in the city.
    Anywhere else, this is a discription of Martial Law.

Soldiers doing Law Enforcement.

the body of law imposed by the military

As to the Poll..

Let 'em live where they want to live ffs.

What you gonna do? Move everyone in the world that lives near a fault, where Tornados hit, thats on a flood plain, near a volcano, Where Hurricanes hit, where it doesn't rain...

Hell, cant fit EVERYONE into Newcastle

As to making Them pay for it?.... remember that next time your town is flooded out or hit by a natural disaster. Thats what Taxes, Insurance and Charity is for.

No one can go through life without disaster.
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 09-02-2005 at 08:27 PM.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

9. Lounge   -   #19
    I have no problem with disaster aid. It is repeatedly paying for restoration in areas that have a disasters regularly that bothers me. These hurricanes happen every year without fail and often in the same areas.

I would be surprised if insurence is up to handling this kind of thing, and I personaly do not think tax dollars should pay for it over and over again.

Kind of reminds me of our welfare system where you have a kid and get money. Have another kid and get more. Repeat as often as desired. I know they are not the same thing, but the idea is the same. Stay in an area where you keep facing the same disaster, there should come a point in time where you are responsible for it yourself.
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    First rebuild the levees and make them extra-strong like the ones controlling the Mississipi's waters (correct me if I'm wrong). Then rebuild.
    If my hometown was badly damaged by some catastrophe, I'd want it rebuilt the way it was.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast