Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: Why you no have your National flag in Sig?

You need to tag your mp3s danG

2. Lounge   -   #62
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'

What is usually called "The Confederate Flag" or "The Confederate Battle Flag" is still a widely-recognized symbol. The display of the flag is controversial and a very emotional issue, generally because of disagreement over exactly what it symbolizes. To many in the US South it is simply a symbol of regional pride and heritage. Others see it as a symbol of the institution of slavery
    At the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) the Rebel Flag was very prevalent at the football games because the team's name, the Rebels. However, the administration banned sticks at football games in an attempt to rid the stadium of the flags, which they believed hampered them in recruiting black athletes and they also believed they were discriminatory and were bad for the public image of Ole Miss (which had already had its share of bad experiences with race relations, e.g., James Meredith). Though no longer seen in the stadium the Rebel Flag is very prevalent in the Grove, where students, fans, and alumni tailgate before the game.
    source

3. Lounge   -   #63
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    everose. in the UK the union and flag of st george have are often snatched up by racists to promote a sort of nationalist us-against-them sort of sentiment. much like the US takes your flag and uses it as a symbol of us-against-them versus the world

check

i like the friendly national pride and competition at sporting events and such, but when it's being used by dickheads as a recruiting tool i'ma avoid it

please to be carry on trolling and sucking at it

4. Lounge   -   #64
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    everose. in the UK the union and flag of st george have are often snatched up by racists to promote a sort of nationalist us-against-them sort of sentiment. much like the US takes your flag and uses it as a symbol of us-against-them versus the world

I was not aware of this practice in the UK. Too bad there can't be more of a pulling together. Vargas gently reminded me of racial implications with the Confederate Flag, and that helped, thanks Vargas.

I guess I had not realized other Country's might perceive our use of our flag as an 'us-against the world' statement.

check

i like the friendly national pride and competition at sporting events and such, but when it's being used by dickheads as a recruiting tool i'ma avoid it

please to be carry on trolling and sucking at it
    I missed this in my first reply. Thank you, Gepper. Tis true.
    Last edited by Everose; 09-11-2005 at 06:52 PM.

5. Lounge   -   #65
    Gemby!'s Avatar Poster
    i love lamp
    Single handedly destroying the NHS from the inside

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567