Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got a warning... how can I download safely?

another good newsgroup binaries archive site is http://www.easynews.com - retention times are excellent. you are given a quota of downloads per month (about 15 gig istr) but you can roll unused quota over to the next month.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    just be smart
    dont download things that will get you caught
    dont waste time
    cover your tracks

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    jetje's Avatar former star
    just dl as much as you wan't, never stop!

1st RIAA asked for investigation, then the University checked for activity! They discovered you as probably one of many, using p2p programms! Not the RIAA.... RIAA just asked, .....
    Did they know what you were sharing? Or just that you used p2p progs... If so just state that you were exchanging freeware, like linux ditributions. Wich is not illegall and the use of p2p progs for that purpose is simply the best

If otherwise i just misunderstood the 1st post...

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Good advice, but his school may block or limit NNTP I would check this out before dishing out the cash. The most secure downloading you can do is with a usenet provider who offers secure tunneling. Basicly and SSL connection to your server so no one but you and the news server can see your traffic or what groups your in.

A little off topic but I have to share this with someone, I work for a large university and today I got this in. This is not a user saying this, this is the helpdesk escalating a ticket to me.

"user seems to have uninstalled her internet. she needs to have her computer reset up so that she can connect to the internet."

I love my job
    Customer: "I want to download the Internet. Do I need a bigger hard disk?"

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    thats gotta suck. You have to be very careful now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12