Thread: Power Supply and other question

suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    I need to know some feedback on this Power Supply

and wondering if this is good deal
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Sku=E400-T6212
    isnt this good couldnt i upgrade too?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    WRT the PSU, a lot depends on what you want out of it. Note that it only has a 20-pin connector, so it won't really be suitable for the latest motherboards. And dual 80mm fans mean it won't be as quiet as some of the ones with a single 120mm fan.

For what it is, the e-machines system is not a bad price. However, you need to remember that with many of these sort of systems they cut costs to the last penny. This often means leaving out the very connectors you would need in order to upgrade them. It is obviously not a PCI-E system, that would have been mentioned if it was. And there's no mention of an AGP slot either. So straight away you are hampered in any potential video upgrade you might have been considering. Give it a miss.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    WRT the PSU, a lot depends on what you want out of it. Note that it only has a 20-pin connector, so it won't really be suitable for the latest motherboards. And dual 80mm fans mean it won't be as quiet as some of the ones with a single 120mm fan.
    I bought one of these when they first came out (AFAIK, it was the first modular supply) and it was a fine bit 'o kit. Lately I've read an increasing number of complaints...it seems that Ultra changed suppliers midstream and the newer PSUs have some problems. In any case, the cabling, which is very nicely made BTW, is pretty stiff and unwieldy in a tight system.

For what it is, the e-machines system is not a bad price. However, you need to remember that with many of these sort of systems they cut costs to the last penny. This often means leaving out the very connectors you would need in order to upgrade them. It is obviously not a PCI-E system, that would have been mentioned if it was. And there's no mention of an AGP slot either. So straight away you are hampered in any potential video upgrade you might have been considering. Give it a miss.
    As long as you know what you are getting into the eMachine is OK.
    My Mom's has been a paragon of reliability, but all the shortcomings Lynx pointed out are present and should be considered.
    Personally, I wouldn't touch a Sempron chip with a bargepole, but your opinion may vary.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Based on this picture:

and it's specifications, I suspect that the eMachines uses this motherboard: http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p...M2-IL&class=mb

So it does have a PCI Express slot. In fact it's right at the top of the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    I wouldn't touch a Sempron chip with a bargepole, but your opinion may vary.
    It doesn't use a Sempron. It uses an Athlon 64 3200+.

Edit: What are you 2 top hardware guys saying? What about accuracy with your answers?
    Last edited by Virtualbody1234; 09-24-2005 at 01:31 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234

Edit: What are you 2 top hardware guys saying? What about accuracy with your answers?
    Oh, so now you want accuracy, eh?

OK, my bad.
    I'm quite surprised actually...all the low end PCs I've seen with "AMD a64" CPUs have had s754 Semprons installed.
    I assumed...and look what happened...hoisted on my own petard by an observant Canadian.

Oh, the humanity!
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6