Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A scary perspective on "bird flu"...

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    I'm not so sure, the other day there were some communist pigeons in Washington saying "coup coup"
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Every year the influenza A virus shows up in the US with a slightly different coat. Since the virus generally starts in China and works is way around the world, we take the current strain there and create a vaccine, which we give at this time of year as the flu shot.

An antigen is simply a structure on the virus which stimulates the human body to form antibodies. The formed antibodies, when they see the antigen again, attack and destroy. The key with viruses is that they subtly change their antigens so that our immune systems do not recognize them. Like growing a mustache or dying their hair.

The flu shot is a little different every year to take into account the subtle change called antigenic drift. Our bodies recognize it, but not as vigorously as if it has not changed at all. Every 75 years or so a strain develops which has an antigenic shift. This means that the change is drastic enough so that the our antibodies do not recognize this strain and it has the potential to really thin the herd, and that is the real reason for flu shots. Instead of killing the old and infirm, it wipes us all out. I guess this would be like getting a sex change operation.

By being able to reproduce the 1918 strain, we can produce a flu shot for it which would engender an antibody response by the body, rendering it as impotent as smallpox.

With a virus, the key is immunization. With bacterial pathogens, the key is antibiotics. If the bubonic plague returns, a little penicillin will do the trick.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RA1N1AC
    viruses evolve? but... but... what about intelligent design?
    Satan?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    maybe we should launch some pre emptive nukes at china, burn the virus up before it spreads (and get rid of the US's only rival : )
    What's this "we" shit?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    sorry. maybe the coalition of the willing should do it

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    With a virus, the key is immunization. With bacterial pathogens, the key is antibiotics. If the bubonic plague returns, a little penicillin will do the trick.
    I agree. However new strains of bacteria have evolved which are resistant to penicillin, because it has been over-used in the past. This stuff really frightens me, the fact that there are dangerous bacteria out there that are resistant to ALL known antibiotics.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    Every year the influenza A virus shows up in the US with a slightly different coat. Since the virus generally starts in China and works is way around the world, we take the current strain there and create a vaccine, which we give at this time of year as the flu shot.

An antigen is simply a structure on the virus which stimulates the human body to form antibodies. The formed antibodies, when they see the antigen again, attack and destroy. The key with viruses is that they subtly change their antigens so that our immune systems do not recognize them. Like growing a mustache or dying their hair.

The flu shot is a little different every year to take into account the subtle change called antigenic drift. Our bodies recognize it, but not as vigorously as if it has not changed at all. Every 75 years or so a strain develops which has an antigenic shift. This means that the change is drastic enough so that the our antibodies do not recognize this strain and it has the potential to really thin the herd, and that is the real reason for flu shots. Instead of killing the old and infirm, it wipes us all out. I guess this would be like getting a sex change operation.

By being able to reproduce the 1918 strain, we can produce a flu shot for it which would engender an antibody response by the body, rendering it as impotent as smallpox.

That is very informative till I read your sig I was reassured.

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by gripper103.2
    Hobbes disavows his sig and swears he didn't put it there.

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Quote Originally Posted by gripper103.2
    Hobbes disavows his sig and swears he didn't put it there.
    I have no signature!

What are you guys talking about?
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    this thread was created to deflect attention from the CIA leak case

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast