Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: computer games and church?

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    I thought churches, of any religion, were not allowed to get into politics in the USA. Isn't that a fundamental rule.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    j2 doesn't strike me as a religious person, but he defends it savagely because bush is a christian

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    For me the problem is when the church tries to get into politics. They do it badly.
    To put a slightly finer point on it, how about people who are into "church" and are also into politics?

Is your view that such people would "do" politics badly, and so should not be allowed, owing to the "problem" they create?
    Of course there should be no bar to someone that has faith (try to get elected if you don't) but as so loudly shouted by conservatives we run the country by the constitution. Doesn't that mean that the bible comes second?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    I thought churches, of any religion, were not allowed to get into politics in the USA. Isn't that a fundamental rule.
    A fundamentally ignored rule.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    j2 doesn't strike me as a religious person, but he defends it savagely because bush is a christian
    Sorry to have intruded on your thread.

Don't know what came over me.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    For me the problem is when the church tries to get into politics. They do it badly.
    To put a slightly finer point on it, how about people who are into "church" and are also into politics?

Is your view that such people would "do" politics badly, and so should not be allowed, owing to the "problem" they create?
    Interesting question and it ties in with the "flag or crucifix" thread.

The teacher (erroneously, IMO) felt that the displaying of the flag elevated it to the status level of the Cross, which was unacceptable to him. He felt that it interferred with his belief that man should follow God and not a State.

So essentially, It is God first, at all times.

Now imagine if this person were to go into politics in America, a society which ideally holds the liberties of the individual sacred and free from religious interference.

Now in any case in which the desires of the State go against an individuals religious belief (abortion, for example), he would be mandated by God to oppose this. He would abandon the States' credo of individual rights and insert his religious beliefs upon the people.

So, it seems apparent to me that the religious would theortically mess up the works.

What is odd to me is that Bush claims to be a Christian, yet he sends his country to war. God is quite clear that "thou shall not kill", so why is Bush ignoring the decree of God? He is placing the desires of the State above the will of God.

Does he think that he can just ignore God and make amends with a few prayers later. What about those soldiers who are religious and do the actual killing. Are they not clearly stating that the State can over-rule God? They can tell Saint Peter that they were doing for George Bush, so those killings don't count.

Jesus did not say to kill your enemies, but to forgive them and turn the other cheek. That is what God wants.

Well, he says that, but then again he did kill everyone on Earth in that flood thing. That's another story though.

I mean, lets step back a little from our narrow perspective. Let's talk about God and Heavan and ETERNITY.

If you really believe in all that, all Earthly conflicts fade to irrelevance. World Trade Center destroyed, turn the other cheek. What does that matter if you have paradise for all eternity in Heavan waiting for you? Just put in your time on this rock and then go to Heavan for BILLIONS and BILLIONS and BILLIONS of years, and that is just a second compared to eternity.

But, it seems to me we are just animals attempting to survive. WE ignore Gods words as we see fit. We are motivated by our animal survival instincts during this little speck of time we have in the universe. We grab up all the money and power we can.

We talk a good game about God and how we are Christian soldiers, but it is a lie. We're just well manicured animals, clawing for survival. That is where our motivations come from, that is how we act.

Sure we are nice and polite when we have our needs filled. Plenty of food, water and electricity here. You want to borrow some sugar, sure buddy, no problem, I've got plenty. We are comfortable in knowing that everything is there, so we are nice and polite.

Then comes Katrina. We steal, we shoot, we fight for a bottle of water, a clean shirt, some food. No politeness, no "you first, let me hold the door", just vicious animal behavior.

Well how about that for a rant.
    Last edited by hobbes; 11-05-2005 at 07:50 PM.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    No arguing there Hobbes,scrape away civilization and the animal comes to the fore,survival of the fittest and all that,survival first and foremost,we will resort to cannibalism at need,take the rugby team stranded in the mountains due to a plane crash,eat your friends or die we eat we survive.

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    i guess i'd think of a house of god as just that. it's not to say i'm not welcome, but am i deserving?

i don't avoid any religion or anything but don't christians deserve christian charity more than me?

Usually such things are used as an outreach to atheists just like you. They would be worried if such people did not turn up.

The downside to outreaches is that you will normally be "witnessed" to on a regular basis. However, if this does not bother you then it is all good. Games are played and outreaching Christians get to practice their witnessing. A classic win win solution.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    Games are played and outreaching Christians get to practice their witnessing. A classic win win solution.
    What do Christians do when they're done "practising"?

BTW, I don't believe this can be considered a "classic" win-win scenario.
    After all, Bill Gates isn't getting a cut.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    Games are played and outreaching Christians get to practice their witnessing. A classic win win solution.
    What do Christians do when they're done "practising"?

BTW, I don't believe this can be considered a "classic" win-win scenario.
    After all, Bill Gates isn't getting a cut.
    An oversight on my part. I am sure the rights to witnessing will pass into the Empire's hands soon.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast